C-47 SKYTRAIN

It's a great kit! I built it when it was released, when I was in junior high. The detail was great, and I liked the stick of paratroops included. And of course, Shep Paine's "Tips on Building Dioramas" that were included in that original release. I just marveled at his diorama and asked myself, "How'd he do that?!"

Fortunately, we can still see the brochure here.

Yeah, that wasn't included, but thanks for posting the link!
The kit does come with a patch.
Yeah, you have to be an old-timer like me to have been around for those 70s Monogram releases. They contracted with Shep to build dioramas of around a dozen kits and write the tips brochure. Monogram didn't extend that feature, sadly. But Shep took the content he wrote and later expanded it into his book, "How to Build Dioramas". That's worth tracking down and adding to your library.
The patches were a feature of the "Classics" releases in the late 90s or so. Monogram packaged the kits with the original box art and added those patches. I don't know if it helped move more kits, but the patches are kind of cool, too.
If you search eBay for the original diorama sheets, some people offer them for some pretty steep prices, too. I kept all of mine, fortunately.

Looking good. You know… it’s a shame you’re not going to see all that once it’s buttoned up.

I never paint interior crew areas, bomb bays if they’re being closed up, in bombers, cargo planes, etc…

Such a terrible way to waste paint and effort when you’re never going to see it once completed.
If it were a clear half option, yeah..it’s worth it.

Just sayin’…

Looking good. You know… it’s a shame you’re not going to see all that once it’s buttoned up.

I never paint interior crew areas, bomb bays if they’re being closed up, in bombers, cargo planes, etc…

Such a terrible way to waste paint and effort when you’re never going to see it once completed.
If it were a clear half option, yeah..it’s worth it.

Just sayin’…
Ah, but for the simple reason:
I know it's there ;)

Ah, but for the simple reason:
I know it's there ;)
You beat me to it, DT!
Same here.

When Monogram released its B-17G, I got it for Christmas. My best friend, who lived next to us, got it, too.
We both started building the kit the day after Christmas. I looked forward to a fun project over Christmas break.
A day later, my friend said he'd finished building the kit and showed it to me. I asked if he finished the interior and he said, "No, no one's going to see it. Why are you finishing that stuff?"
And that was my answer, too: "I know it's there!"
My first experience with the question.

Seriously, back then, with the kits as they were, and the instructions written the way they were, naming parts and things like that, I learned a lot about the subject-what the crew spaces in a B-17 were like, or the fighting compartment of a tank, the bits and pieces of a V-8, from completing everything in the kit.

Today, I may decide to omit something in the interest of time, weighing it against other factors in the project. But very seldom, since I build for myself, rather than for a customer.

You beat me to it, DT!
Same here.

When Monogram released its B-17G, I got it for Christmas. My best friend, who lived next to us, got it, too.
We both started building the kit the day after Christmas. I looked forward to a fun project over Christmas break.
A day later, my friend said he'd finished building the kit and showed it to me. I asked if he finished the interior and he said, "No, no one's going to see it. Why are you finishing that stuff?"
And that was my answer, too: "I know it's there!"
My first experience with the question.

Seriously, back then, with the kits as they were, and the instructions written the way they were, naming parts and things like that, I learned a lot about the subject-what the crew spaces in a B-17 were like, or the fighting compartment of a tank, the bits and pieces of a V-8, from completing everything in the kit.

Today, I may decide to omit something in the interest of time, weighing it against other factors in the project. But very seldom, since I build for myself, rather than for a customer.
Agreed, I may not go into hyper detail, but if you can look through a window or space, it will look finished inside.

Agreed, I may not go into hyper detail, but if you can look through a window or space, it will look finished inside.
With me it's like having xray vision because I can see in my mind what is underneath and knowing there is something inside that I missed would just bug the hell out of me until I ripped it open and fixed it.

But then, I am OCD nuts about things like that. Each to their own I suppose. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back