The YT-1300 Project

Looking good dude. Needs a balkenkreuz or 2. (Sorry, can't help my other modeling addition: German air and armor).

It really looks fantastic...so nice to see a YT-1300 in something other than the standard Falcon grey.

Stage 1 Weathering:

Black pigment powder and gloss coat.
dsc05520465.jpg

Very nicely done, I really should hang out here more, cool project! ;D

builder101 said:
Looking great, can't wait to see some more paint on this.. Nice job!!!!
There will be a few more layers of paint and weathering. I'm trying something new this time by applying an initial layer of weathering pigment prior to the final paint job. I'm going to try the hairspray weathering technique on this beast so I needed a gloss coat prior to the final paint coat. I figured that an extra layer of weathering couldn't hurt... we'll see how hard it is to blend in later.

eh up buddy.
oh man this has got me excited!lovin ya progress with the paint and pre-shading....it`s gettin me all eager for my build,top marks cheers peza :eek:

Markings:

I decided to keep with the avain naming convention and call this YT-1300 "The Kestrel". Given the name, I thought some wing-shaped markings would be approriate. An image search provided a suitable set of wings which I printed onto frisket film and cut out to make a template. I'm experimenting with the hairspray technique on this build; so I burnished down the tepmplate an airbrushed a layer of hairpray. While the spray was still slightly tacky, I sprinkled a few grains of coarse salt in a random pattern. After the hairspray dried, I airbushed a layer of Tamiya Royal Blue over the template.
dscn2638d.jpg

After the paint was set but not fully cured, I attacked it with water, brushes, Q-tips, and an old toothbrush.
dscn2639w.jpg

dscn2640t.jpg

I like the chipped and faded look that can be achieved with this technique. I'm not so sure about the chips created by the grains of salt, they look a bit too blobby.

Try mixing different types of salt (Kosher, table, and pickling) . I recently took the hairspray plunge and it helps. Looks good!

Grendels said:
Try mixing different types of salt (Kosher, table, and pickling) . I recently took the hairspray plunge and it helps. Looks good!
Thanks for the advice; I'll give that a try.

Upper Hull Markings:
The wings didn't turn out quite as distinct on the upper hull surface as they did on the bottom. The bottom is flatter.
dsc05670480.jpg

Latest posts

Back