The YT-1300 Project

Bah! The thinner I used for a wash reacted with the glue/plastic bond in one or two spots and popped a side seam or two. The upper and lower hulls were pretty warped and needed heavy clamping to straighten them out, it was the seams that were under heavy tension that popped. Nothing a little carefull glueing and some clamps can't fix; but still, this is a first for me and a little irritating.

I'm so glad I found this thread! Splashcoat, I'm so happy that you've shown me that not making studio accurate YT's is acceptable. I was going to do something similar to this with my FM Falcon thats on it's way, and I was afraid I'd be shunned. Yours looks great, especially those wings. Thank you for the great inspiration!

Shortsonfire79 said:
I'm so glad I found this thread! Splashcoat, I'm so happy that you've shown me that not making studio accurate YT's is acceptable. I was going to do something similar to this with my FM Falcon thats on it's way, and I was afraid I'd be shunned. Yours looks great, especially those wings. Thank you for the great inspiration!

Thanks for the kind words, Shorts. It's true, you don't have to make a screen accurate or historically accurate version or any given subject. There's a place for complete accuracy in this hobby but there's also a place for artistic license. Good luck with your build... share the progress here.

More weathering:

I applied dots of various colours of oil paints...
dscn2645na.jpg

... and then blended them together with a soft brush slightly dampened with mineral spirtits.
dscn2646t.jpg

That reminds me of the technique I saw "Fichten Foo" use on his Falcon.
I used a slight variation of that on my "REPUBLIC"
:)

ModelMakerMike said:
That reminds me of the technique I saw "Fichten Foo" use on his Falcon.
I used a slight variation of that on my "REPUBLIC"
:)
It`s a pretty decent method to replicate fading, streaking and staining. By using localised blobs of paint, you can control how much colour goes where by how much blending you do. Streaks are particularly easy to do this way because you can drag the colour in a logical direction; following gravity, airflow, etc. As an added bonus, the slow drying time of oils gives you a chance to erase any mistakes with a cotton ball and a little thinner.

External Cargo Pod:

After some reconsideration, I decided to abandon the cargo container design and go with a tanker pod kind of arrangement. Fuel? Gas? Spice?
dscn2647d.jpg

Love it. Giant space eggs...err...spice. I really like that design. I may have to steal that a little if I ever do another FM 1/144 Falcon.

Help yourself, Unreality. As you can probably tell, I used ping-pong balls for the tanks; they're cheaper than styrene spheres and much easier to find. The only drawback is that they don't react to solvent type glue, but cyano works fine.

Latest posts

Back