The YT-1300 Project

Really liking how it's turning out. What did you use for the dual laser cannon barrels?

Unreality said:
Really liking how it's turning out. What did you use for the dual laser cannon barrels?

The barrels are the inner conductors from a BNC audio jumper connector. They fit the bill nicely, they're hollow and even have something similar to vents along the sides. I work begind the scenes at a TV station and end up getting my hands on all sorts of broken/defunct bit & pieces.

Primed:

dsc05080436.jpg

looking good.

I've always wondered.. why does the 'exhaust' coming from the six vents on the back deck extend out radially.. shouldnt it be blown directly toward the back end of the ship??

stretch said:
looking good.

I've always wondered.. why does the 'exhaust' coming from the six vents on the back deck extend out radially.. shouldnt it be blown directly toward the back end of the ship??

I have thought the same thing myself. :)

I agree. There were so many filming models of the Falcon that an "accurate" pattern is hard to determine; this seem the most common reference:
mf_1.jpg

The Hasbro toy probably gave people some ideas:
top_view_opened.jpg

My opinion is that many models are too heavily weathered around the exhaust and that a radial pattern is probably not the way the staining would actually occur. I think the tendency is to follow the line between the two rows of exhaust ports when weathering.
UpperHull.png

However you look at it, this is completely wrong and not at all screen accurate:
millenium-falcon-bed.jpg

Very cool! My AMT falcon arrived the other day... your build has me itching to get started.

Colour Coat:

I want to give this YT-1300 (still un-named) a slight blueish colour instead of Standard Star Wars Grey, I mixed a colour using 2/3 Tamiya Sky Grey and 1/3 Tamiya Light Blue. I used this to cover the entire airframe and then proceeded the Colour Modulation Technique. I lightened the base colour with a little more Sky Gray and a few drops of Pure White and applied this to the centre of all the panels and other raised areas. I then made a darker tint of the base colour by adding Tamiya Royal Blue; I airbrushed this mix into recessed and shadowed areas as well as a panel line or two.

dsc05410454.jpg

dsc05510464.jpg

Latest posts

Back