The YT-1300 Project

stretch said:
LOL "colonial movers, we move anywhere"

Only just saw that, couldnt spot that on the tiny ipod touch screen this morning
Hey, thanks for noticing! I'm glad that the 2 minutes of intensive labour that went into making this little paper shipping crate didn't go unappreciated. :)

Engine Exhaust Detail:

The kit part representing the engine outlet is just a curved piece of smooth, clear plastic designed to be painted from within to mimic a glowing engine exhaust. I went with a different approach and detailed the outside surface of the kit part with lengths of U-channel and half-round styrene.
dsc00020001.jpg

Primed:
dsc00040002.jpg

I needed 55 pieces of identical length, so I cobbled together the Superchop MkI to speed things along:
dsc00050003.jpg

Loving the use of the U-channels. I think I've got every Evergreen pack of those for scratch-building. Nice work.

nice superchop by the way. You may want to think about a Chopper if you think you'll do more scratch-building. It's come in very handy for me.

Everytime I have to cut more than half a dozen identical pieces I say to myself, "Self, you really should invest in a chopper". I've never managed to get around to it and I always seem to forget when I'm at the hobbyshop; so this time I had to come up with something on the fly. It looks pretty shabby, I know, but it got the job done... you know, I really should invest in a chopper.

Cockpit and dorsal/ventral glazing:

I airbrushed the inside of these parts with several layers of clear blue to hide the lack of interior detailing.
dsc00010017.jpg

Engine Baffles:

The engine baffles are molded as one solid, continuous piece. I separated the individual baffles with a razor saw.
dsc00050021.jpg

dsc00060022.jpg

Love the baffle mod. If you'd take it one step further and notch out those...notches it would again add to the awesomeness.

Great build. Keep it up.

Scott Girvan said:
Love the baffle mod. If you'd take it one step further and notch out those...notches it would again add to the awesomeness.

Great build. Keep it up.
I was considering it, but making improvements to this thing feels a little like putting lipstick on a pig. I might give in and tweak the baffles a little more but I really just want to get on with painting and weathering.

As always, suggestions and constructive criticism are happily received.

eh u buddy.lol on ya comment,if you`ve been down my local nightclub you would see pigs in lipstick!!lovin ya work on this mym8..cheers peza

Splashcoat said:
I was considering it, but making improvements to this thing feels a little like putting lipstick on a pig.

What?
How very dare you :p

This kit is amazing....so much you can do with it

J

Jaitea said:
Splashcoat said:
I was considering it, but making improvements to this thing feels a little like putting lipstick on a pig.

What?
How very dare you :p

This kit is amazing....so much you can do with it

J
True, this kit does have potential if you're willing to put in the effort. The key word here is "willing"; I'm finding it difficult to justify putting too much work into this when I have a Fine Molds Falcon in my stash - a much more accurate and interesting build.

Jaitea said:
Have you seen my thread in the group build section, I'm currently building a MPC & the FM Falcon, it is actually good for me as you can find a solution to a problem on one kit and migrate that idea to the other

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,4312.msg120163.html#msg120163

J

Wow! That's stellar work, J! I like how you worked the Panther tank components into the MPC build. Very inspirational, but I just couldn't bring myself to invest that much time and effort in this one .

Dorsal Turret:

The Millennium Falcon's signature quad-barreled turrets are being replaced with a single dorsal dual-barreled turret.

Kit part on the left, modified turret on the right,
dsc00190035.jpg

Cockpit:

Unmodified, the exterior of the cockpit is devoid of any detail.
dscn2633c.jpg

I scribed some panel lines and added a few styrene bits.
dscn2635x.jpg

Latest posts

Back