The YT-1300 Project

@ Unreality - Maybe that's why I'm getting inconsistent results with hairspray, I've been experimenting with how much to use and I tend to use a light hand when airbrushing. I'll try applying a heavier coat and see how that works out. Thanks for the advice. I WILL be adding a gun turret; I'm using the Hayne's shop manual as a reference for this build and it indicats that a "stock" YT-1300 has a double barreled top turret as standard equipment. My plan is to replace the dorsal quad turret with a dual and fill in the mounting points for the ventral turret.

@ Stretch - Wow! That is a great idea! The parts fit in that area is pretty sloppy and there's a lot of missing detail on the inner surfaces of the manidbles. A cargo pod would cover all that up very nicely and give a pretty unique look to the model. Thanks for the input!

Splashcoat said:
@ Stretch - Wow! That is a great idea! The parts fit in that area is pretty sloppy and there's a lot of missing detail on the inner surfaces of the manidbles. A cargo pod would cover all that up very nicely and give a pretty unique look to the model. Thanks for the input!

I've always wanted to do the real cargo carrying version with the container. a lack of source material is a big problem. If you find any, post it for us if you can

stretch said:
I've always wanted to do the real cargo carrying version with the container. a lack of source material is a big problem. If you find any, post it for us if you can

The only ones I know of are the Solar Flare (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_Flare) and the Moon Swing (http://drexfurlow.users2.50megs.com/moonswin.htm)

The Solar Flare was from the West End games role-playing game. Looks like it had a permanent cargo pod and modified engines. The Moon Swing was for another RP game I think. They both look very similar, but neither are "stock" yt-1300s. No references for a stock with cargo pods, but meh, it's sci-fi. Put some blaster marks on it, and nobody can say you're wrong. ;D

Cheers

Unreality said:
stretch said:

The only ones I know of are the Solar Flare (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_Flare) and the Moon Swing (http://drexfurlow.users2.50megs.com/moonswin.htm)

The only mention I've heard is from a West End Games source book. It says the cargo pods are held by a pair of grapples that are buried in the centre section of the ship. The cargo pods would be a temporary fixture, to cope with largo cargo, or lots of cargo, whatever that may be...

The Solar Flare was from the West End games role-playing game. Looks like it had a permanent cargo pod and modified engines. The Moon Swing was for another RP game I think. They both look very similar, but neither are "stock" yt-1300s. No references for a stock with cargo pods, but meh, it's sci-fi. Put some blaster marks on it, and nobody can say you're wrong. ;D

Cheers

This is a really interesting looking project, 'bookmarked'

if you could make the cargo pod removable that would also be cool ;D

Gag

Looks like I screwed up my last post :-[. Like the Gag said in the above post, the only cargo pods ive seen are removable ones, source was a W.E.G. sourcebook

Since there doesn't seem to be any definitive reference to exactly how the cargo pod arrangement is supposed to work, I suppose one person's interpretation is as good as any other's.

I think I'm going to go for a removable, shipping conatiner style of pod. Much like shipping conatiners today, it will be rectangular and modular to allow it to be handled and stored by a variety of types of equipment and methods. I plan to put together a mockup once the shell of the ship is assembled.

Thanks to everyone for the reference material and suggestions.

Side walls attached to lower hull. The fit of these parts is very poor and some light clamping was required.
dsc0006np.jpg

eh up buddy.wow ya really moving on with ya build mym8.
have you any images of ya wheathered cockpit?.....peza

Splashcoat said:
Since there doesn't seem to be any definitive reference to exactly how the cargo pod arrangement is supposed to work, I suppose one person's interpretation is as good as any other's.

Those are the best in my opinion. Cheers man. Can't wait to see the mockup.

I like your clamping, using lots of pressure points with low amounts of grips. Clever ;D

I'm interested to see how the container will turn out, sounds great.

Don't know if youve looked at this sites Millennium Falcon group build that started at the end of last year and builders are still currently adding to (inc myself), when I initially took part I was making the Revell Easy kit Falcon & trying to make a different look for the YT-1300, I continued the angles of the mandibles to make a wedge shaped attachment, making the YT-1300 a bit Star Destroyer/ Jedi fighter-ish:

yt1350.jpg

91739931.jpg

.....but with all the MPC Falcon builds in the group build I abandoned this project.

J

Shame you abandoned it J, I still love the look of it! Wouldn't believe it's Revell's kit.

Exactly! This is far too unique of a concept to abandon. It looks great so far, I'd love to see what it looks like finished.

Dry fit & cargo pod mock-up.
I put together a quick-and-dirty cargo pod to see how it fit between the mandibles; I like the looks of it and I think that's the direction I'm going to go. I think the final version of the pod will be slightly longer, though.
dsc0007wl.jpg

dsc0002qf.jpg

dsc0003aoc.jpg

dsc0005dj.jpg

dsc0006ou.jpg

Yup, much longer. I think the pix I saw had the cargo pod actually wrap around the mandibles a little on each side as well

JohnSimmons said:
I like your clamping, using lots of pressure points with low amounts of grips. Clever ;D

That was pretty much the only way I could do it. The parts needed a lot of coaxing and I used every large clamp I own. :D

LOL "colonial movers, we move anywhere"

Only just saw that, couldnt spot that on the tiny ipod touch screen this morning

Latest posts

Back