The Mirror Has Two Sides

Re: Odysseus Twins

Great job Q!! Really enjoy following the build!! ;D Keep up the great work!

It's more for the previous update, but I can't help mentioning the frontal torpedo tubes - they look very cool for me.

Thanks, Solander.
Thought it worked pretty well in the big version, so they naturally stayed in the same spot for these

With raw shaping on the main struts complete, I glued down the center sections to the horizontal assemblies
odysseus-twins-48.jpg

After trimming the corners on the center sections, as then sealing the assemblies with PVA glue, I went in and filled the worst of the seams with Aves.
odysseus-twins-49.jpg
odysseus-twins-50.jpg

Youtube link:
Odysseus Twins-SMA Contest-Part 14

Very cool mate. I've been watching your videos so much I've memorised your intro! :D

It's looking really great. You've your fair share of challenges along the way and I admire how you've incorporated them into the design.

Its moving on nicely Quaralane , tidy bit of balsa work too :)

Chris.

Looking great Q. Pretty cool seeing you use all these different materials.
I've never worked with Balsa in a model - why did you choose that over say a thick sheet of styrene? Is it a weight thing or?

Keep up the good work mate!

Don't think i can handle any more of the new skills you make me want to learn!

This is brilliant!!! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Thanks for the compliments, guys

Myke,
Chose the balsa mostly for its ease of shaping, actually.
That, and my total lack of desire to cut out 3-5 versions of that template PER strut.

Was reminded of a couple of issues with the balsa today MA101. Luckily, the problem wound up somewhere I could hide.

Got the struts scribed and assembled.
Discovered that, when scribing balsa cross grain, it's best to score the cuts first before hitting them with the scribing tool.

I glued the vertical struts to the horizontal ones with five minute epoxy for a stronger bond.
odysseus-twins-51.jpg
odysseus-twins-52.jpg

Youtube link:
Odysseus Twins-SMA Contest-Part 15

Two updates for you guys in one day.
Enjoy.

Continuing work on the two ships.
Have the nacelles attached to the strut assemblies.
Clearly, there will be some filler work needed as there ars some gaps/mismatches to be dealt with.
odysseus-twins-53.jpg
odysseus-twins-54.jpg

Assembly of the main hulls:
Start with using some epoxy to cement the rearward resin portions together.
ISS hull needs some clamping due to lineup/finish issues with the castings.
odysseus-twins-55.jpg

USS hull went together without clamps, likely due to this hull being the master.
Still, going to have some gaps/seams to fill.
odysseus-twins-56.jpg

Turned my attention to the front halves after the epoxy set.
I'm using Testors liquid cement on the plastic hull portions. This is taking some clamping, and will have some seam filling, especially around the torpedo launchers.
odysseus-twins-57.jpg
odysseus-twins-58.jpg

Youtube link:
Odysseus Twins-SMA Contest-Part 16

That right there is quite a piece of work Q - you're doing great and really pulling through with this.

Latest posts

Back