Mirror Models - 1/35 US Military Bulldozer

TRM

Hello Addicts!! ;D

Oh my!! Been a while!! :p Seems I have been a little busy on various modelling fronts around the interwebs! I came to a sad realization that sometimes it becomes more like work than a hobby!! :-X This is the perfect reason for wanting to joining on all the fun here on SMA with the BSC!! Basically, get back to the basics, right? ;D

With all that aside, my entry...Mirror Model's US Military Bulldozer! I haven't a real clue as to where I will go with this yet, but its a model...and I am in!! :)

20150407_141641%2B%28800x685%29.jpg

20150407_141821%2B%28743x800%29.jpg

I received the kit from a good friend over on InScale.org for a review (hence the light watermarking). After finishing that up yesterday, I was looking at the kit thinking it might make for a fun project to work on for the BSC!! All 585 pieces of it! :-\

So with that, I ill go back to plotting my next move and start snipping and gluing some parts soon! Thanks for stopping in!!! Good luck everyone!! ;)

Thank Adam! ;D I'll give it my best shot! Work first...then play!!! :p

Great to see you here Todd. That is going to be a fantastic build - no doubt.

Hey Todd! So good to see you back here, and I know what you mean about turning this hobby into a job. Get cracking on that build man! ;D

Dude !!! ;D Great to see you Todd ! Nice choice of build too , Libor's kits are great to build :)

Carry on young chap ;D

Chris.

You can't deny the detail in the mirror model kits. They look amazing. Can't wait to see this one go together.

Chris

Scott Girvan said:
Great to see you here Todd. That is going to be a fantastic build - no doubt.

Thanks Scott!! Certain hoping so! Still not sure where this will go...but that's half the fun anyway....right? ;D

Jeeves said:
Looking forward to seeing you do your weathering magic on this one T!

Hey Jeeves...Thanks! This one does lend itself to some fun with the messy stuff!! 8)

JohnSimmons said:
Hey Todd! So good to see you back here, and I know what you mean about turning this hobby into a job. Get cracking on that build man! ;D

Thanks John!! "cracking" very soon...few minutes actually!! ;)

Grendels said:
Good to see you back Todd! Looking forward to this build!

Hey John!! Good to be back!! Great bunch of entries so far! I am making my way through each of them...will take some time!! :p But judging by the number and names on them, some really great stuff happening!! :D

Chris S said:
Dude !!! ;D Great to see you Todd ! Nice choice of build too , Libor's kits are great to build :)

Carry on young chap ;D

Chris

"Young Chap"? LOL!! A little early here for pints but thanks...I can use all the help I can!!! :) It is a nice looking kit. I didn't think they could stuff so many parts in that little box....LOL!! Time to start snipping!! ;)

suavetomcat said:
You can't deny the detail in the mirror model kits. They look amazing. Can't wait to see this one go together.

Chris

Thanks Chris!! Glad to have you along for the ride! ;)

I think I saw a familiar name!!! Lol

Looking forward with one of your magic!!!

Cheers!!!

Hey Todd

Glad to see you at work again! Another masterpiece is in progress!!

Looks like a fun little project you got going T looking forward to seeing the plastic going together :)

Dan B

Eastrock said:
I think I saw a familiar name!!! Lol

Looking forward with one of your magic!!!

Cheers!!!

LOL....too familiar my friend!! ;D Not much in the way of magic....maybe a little card trick here or the ::)

Neo said:
Hey Todd

Glad to see you at work again! Another masterpiece is in progress!!

Thank Neo!! Glad to be working the plastic again! Something other than these plastic keys on the PC! :p Thanks for the confidence my friend! ;)

danb said:
Looks like a fun little project you got going T looking forward to seeing the plastic going together :)

Dan B

So far so good Dan!! Thanks! A little here and there and it will get done at some point!! :)

edz280zx said:
Cool build! 585 parts?? Does the thing run when you're done? lol

LOL...you would thing so!! Most of those 585 are the tracks! Take those out of the mix and it becomes a bit more manageable! Thanks!! ;)

Bizarre said:
BRING IT ON! 8)

Thanks for the push Roman!! ;D I'm trying!! ::)

Chris S said:
Is it done yet ? ...Just sayin ::) ;D

Well I see you have not lost that Irish wit Mr. S ;D LOL...While Iwish I was at the painting end of this one....sadly no!! 8) But making progress!! ;D

Looks like it's time to get things underway! After cracking the box, I figured it was best to follow the instructions and start on the engine of the beast! There are 81 pieces of the 585 parts in this kit devoted to the engine. While the construction is not too bad, if f you are new to modelling or if the small stuff (cutting and cleaning of parts) tends to be problematic, just be sure to take your time and make sure you check each part for seam lines that may need to be removed as well as fit.

20150408_222323%2B%28800x623%29.jpg

The parts do clean up decent but the attachement points are rather large. It's best to stay away form the surface of the part leaving a small nub that can be cut and/or sanded after removal. I chose to replace a couple of styrene rounded parts with some brass rod I had. Mostly to save the trouble of cleaning the small seam lines that ran form end to end.

20150413_200536%2B%28800x748%29.jpg

20150413_200550%2B%28800x793%29.jpg

20150413_200630%2B%28800x716%29.jpg

I hav not attached the bell housing on the end of the engine...basically I was thinking about the painting end of things moving forward. I added some different sized soldering wire to simulate the wiring and hoses on the engine. Aside form a couple of fit issues, mainly the starter sub-assembly (the starter is the very first picture I showed). I needed to trim the mounting on one end and subsequently cut the feed lines to size...replacing one as it was easier to use solder to fit the part better.

Now that the engine is out of the way, I started assembly of the frame. This is straightforward so far. The frame is a two-part affair and the joint will need to be filled. The instructions mentioned filling three small holes in each side as they were not used on the 'Crawler', Mirror Models other version of the tractor without the blade. I looked through the instructions and did not see where they are used on this kit as well...worst case I am wrong and I simply drill out the filler and roll with it!

20150413_200736%2B%28800x638%29.jpg

There are a few more pieces to the main assembly o the frame to go. I will be cleaning things up tonight and should be in good shape to move along to the next steps.

One item I am jumping in with very soon will be the track assembly.

20150407_143230%2B%28800x570%29.jpg

Everything has been cutaway from the sprues and only need a quick cleaning and then I can get these out of the way early I think. These should be workable tracks once completed...we'll see how that works out soon!!

20150413_200455%2B%28800x674%29.jpg

Well that is it for the moment! Still cleaning and cutting my way around! As always, thanks for having a LQQY!!!

Latest posts

Back