Thank you

Ravhin

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this forum. It's really nice to have people that can appreciate your hobby.

As some background info, since many of you won't be familiar, in Portugal there are very very few people that make sci fi models, and specially gundams (I know no one actually), which in it self would not piss me off, it's just as it is. Thing is the modellers that do exist, making planes, armour and such (and we have a few really great ones) have zero tolerance for people that make different things.

So yeah, I'm really glad that SMA and you great fellas are around !

;D

Sorry to hear that you seem to be the "lone wolf" for sci-fi in the area.

Glad we can be here for you

Hey man :) I will try to take few photos tomorrow which should help explain and then I will send it to you.

Cheers

Lukasz

Dude, I can totally relate to you. I live in the U.S. in Florida, but, like you, I know absolutely no one that does this hobby, especially sci-fi, I would love to meet someone (in person) that is into model building. There are no model clubs or anything like that in my town. I live in a popular college town so its somewhat understandable... ::) SMA has been my haven since I got back into the hobby 4 years ago.

I live in Florida MrN, but i'm all the way down the bottom, i think i must be the furthest south of all USA members. 8)

I'm a fair few hours away from any competions and don't know of any clubs close by. ???

Where are you living?

Gag

The Nylon Gag said:
I live in Florida MrN, but i'm all the way down the bottom, i think i must be the furthest south of all USA members. 8)

I'm a fair few hours away from any competions and don't know of any clubs close by. ???

Where are you living?

Gag

I live in Gainesville, which is a great city, I love it, just not too many modelers around here. Its all about the University and Gator football around here.

I am in the same position as most of you. Small Texas College Town. No one around that does model building. So here I am at SMA.

I can't find any kind of a club here either and I'm an 8 hr drive away from the nearest place that ever hosts any kind of a model show. I have 1 friend here who builds even slower than me and 2 grandkids who like to "hang out with grampa in the cave". And a wife who just barely tolerates my addiction. Other than that I'm on my own, and that led me to the internet where I found a few sites full of us of which this is my favourite. I found this one way, way back before it was even a website, just Scott's youtube vids building that X-wing. Stuck around, watched it grow and fill with some great folks, and actually started building more. So I wholeheartedly echo your sentiment Ravhin. Thank you, all of you, the whole darned Herd.

Quaralane said:
Sorry to hear that you seem to be the "lone wolf" for sci-fi in the area.

Glad we can be here for you
Ravhin's not the lone wolf....he's a pioneer!
Stick to it son, we're all in this together.

Well, if anyone is around Southwest PA I will be back there in June for good and visiting Connecticut quite often as well.

Grendels said:
I am in the same position as most of you. Small Texas College Town. No one around that does model building. So here I am at SMA.

John:

With your line of work and what you do, do you possibly tutor any of the Texas A&M football players ? I have a friend that is a HUGE Texas A&M football fan. If you have access to any of the football players, and are willing, I would love to send you the money to get me a Texas A&M authentic football jersey then having the football players you have access too autograph the jersey for me to give him as a Birthday present. That would be whicked awesome

I see very few of the football players in my office. I do get more of the other sports however like the swimmers. Now in the past I use to work for the athletic department, when I did, I tutored the whole starting lineup. Back then I knew them, now not at all.

Similar situation in NZ, went to the IPMS national show a couple of years ago (held bi-annually) and the ratio of aircraft to non military car/bike was about 15/1 so places like SMA mean we can read about and share with others who build in similar categories.

TBadger said:
Well, if anyone is around Southwest PA I will be back there in June for good and visiting Connecticut quite often as well.

Tbadger, Im down in Boyertown, Alburtis, Newtown area quite a bit and only live about a hour North of Harrisburg. Would be more then happy anytime to come sling some plastic around with ya, visit a hobby shop, or shove down some wings and suck down a few suds anytime you want to hang out.

Let me know and we can set something up Im always down to hanging out with good friends.

Ravhin you can be a trend setter!
I'm in Central Texas about 1 1/2 hours west of Grendels. There is a locally owned hobby shop and a small club. Most of those guys are all ex-armor guys retired from Ft Hood and that is thier focus.
But I'm only an hour north of Austin and the have a pretty good show there every year.
Grendels I'm warning ya that I'm going to drop by sometime soon! :D
This is a really good forum....

I'm doing my best :p The old curmudgeons and their planes and tanks will one day surrender to sci fi !

Joking aside the truth is, if we want younger people to get involved in the hobby we need the subjects that most appeal to them, and for most under 30, though we may appreciate armour and airplanes sci fi is also strong due to the influence of movies like Star Wars Star Trek and such as well as shows as Galactica and even Gundam, which is actually gaining momentum in Europe, as far as I can tell.

Latest posts

Back