Test fitting questions.

scalebuilderchad

I have some test fitting questions.

When I build a model I paint all the parts and then assemble the kit. The only time I assemble before I paint is when pieces that are glued together are the same color and / or there is a seam I want to fill in. I don't really do any test fitting. And many times this leads me to last minute "oh sh*t" moments where I have to modify a part and repaint it before I can continue. And in the worst cases it causes me to even have to buy another kit and remedy that problem ahead of time.

So I ask you this.

I see people inline test fitting parts like in a way where I am sure they are glued together. What are you using to glue parts together that allows you to still take the kit apart afterwards?

link to what you are referencing please .

to this ---> " test fitting parts like in a way where I am sure they are glued together "

I have some test fitting questions.

When I build a model I paint all the parts and then assemble the kit. The only time I assemble before I paint is when pieces that are glued together are the same color and / or there is a seam I want to fill in. I don't really do any test fitting. And many times this leads me to last minute "oh sh*t" moments where I have to modify a part and repaint it before I can continue. And in the worst cases it causes me to even have to buy another kit and remedy that problem ahead of time.

So I ask you this.

I see people inline test fitting parts like in a way where I am sure they are glued together. What are you using to glue parts together that allows you to still take the kit apart afterwards?
I always try to test fit the parts as some kits don't always fit snugly. I usually clamp or tape something like a fuselage but just hold part's together to check the fit. If I'm happy then I use tamiya ultra thin adhesive to run along the joints without pulling them apart. Leave it a couple of hours and perfect joints.

Other's may do things differently and to be fair I have only been modeling a couple of years but it works for me.Pantherman

My biggest reason for test fitting is when there are pins in holes, tabs in slots, and of course things like hulls, wings, and a fuselage. Sometimes the smallest amount of sanding tabs of filing out a hole before paint makes a big difference.

I usually test fit all my parts before gluing and painting.

When dealing with seams and or gaps, I’ll sand it down lightly to a smooth finish - especially when glue seeps out. Sometimes, I’ll use the blade of the hobby knife, then go over it with a sanding stick - preferably a light grit.
Even if you still see sort of a seam, sometimes I’ll use Mr. surfacer and dab with a brush to fill it in. Sand lightly once dried sufficiently

As for gaps, there are different methods. My go-to is Perfect Plastic Putty by Deluxe. Easy to wipe down excess using water.
Another method is using small sections of sheet styrene then fill in with putty.

Another I have seen folks use is homemade Sprue glue. Do a search on YouTube on how to make your own sprue glue. I’ve never done it but it’s something I thought about trying and experiment with it on a mule kit in the future.

link to what you are referencing please .

to this ---> " test fitting parts like in a way where I am sure they are glued together "
This guy always assembles his models unfinished, then disassembles and finishes the parts. I asked him on IG, but he never replied.

hotrod.jpg

My biggest reason for test fitting is when there are pins in holes, tabs in slots, and of course things like hulls, wings, and a fuselage. Sometimes the smallest amount of sanding tabs of filing out a hole before paint makes a big difference.
I build cars and trucks. And with every build I always sand the hood so there are larger panels seems down either side. Then when all the paint is on there the hoods fit nice and neat.

I can easily see how that is sitting like that without any glue .
Where do you think that would need adhesive ?

Everything is pinned / indexed .
You didn't share a view of the rear .

If he used adhesive it's going to be a drop of PVA just to hold things in place . Just peels off when done with taking photos to confuse scalebuilderchad

Everything is pinned / indexed .
You didn't share a view of the rear .

If he used adhesive it's going to be a drop of PVA just to hold things in place . Just peels off when done with taking photos to confuse scalebuilderchad
But seriously. I'm sure it is pins and holes and built well. But how do you hold all those pins in holes without it all collapsing because it isn't fastened together.

Tight Fit .
No Glue .
No Magic .
Gravity always points Down . No floating away ...

To everyone that replied I should have been more specific.

I test fit one part to another part all the time. What I am referring to is I build cars and I like to customize them. One thing I always change is ride height. Fortunately I have been lucky and I usually get it right with some eyeballing.

I want to be able to put the front and rear suspension together and the wheels and tires on it. That hotrod might not have been the greatest example because that guy scratchbuilds and uses pins to hold everything together. A car kit doesn't stay together like that.

So I am essentially asking if there is a way I can glue a car kit together and still be able to disassemble it.

...I see people inline test fitting parts like in a way where I am sure they are glued together. What are you using to glue parts together that allows you to still take the kit apart afterwards?
Some modelers tack parts using white glue. It doesn't damage the styrene or resin, and it can be dissolved with warm water.
Some will just use tape to hold some parts together when test-fitting, or rubber bands, too.
Best thing to remember is: keep it simple.

Latest posts

Back