A couple basic questions. Just started back modeling after a long time..

jzumbro

Great website, first off...
I just got started modeling again after a very long time. A couple basic questions:
1. What is the best technique to use to cement very small parts together? I purchased a liquid plastic cement with the metal precision applicator (which is nice), but even that dispenses too much glue for some of the tiny pieces that need glue applied to a spot about the size of a large pin head..How do I do this?

2. How do you remove excess glue from the model when you mess up or smear glue by accident on the surface of the model?

Thank you!

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement comes with a very nice brush which allows more control over how much cement you are using. You can also use a cheap and tiny paint brush. Needless to say the brush now will become a "cement only" brush and useless for painting. By any chance are you using Tenax cement?

If you get too much cement on anything don't bother trying to wipe it off. It will just get worse. Wait till it dries completely and then sand or scrape it off.

Another thing you can try for applying glue is get a pin vice, a bottle cap and a straight pin. place the straight pin in the pin vice with the pointy end inside the vice. put some of the glue in the bottle cap. Take the pin and dunk it into the glue, picking up a little bit of the glue. This way you can apply just a tiny bit of glue at a time, to a very specific spot. CA glue works best for this, but it will also work for other kinds of glue.

I agree with AKE on the issue of extra cement. Just let it dry and try to sand it off. That is what I have always done.

Latest posts

Back