ready to throw away the testors "orange tube"

whiskee

I have been using the classic testors orange tube glue for over 20 years now and i am starting to realize just how crappy it is. It has ruined a fine model for the last time and is going in the garbage can. What is my replacement? I have already discovered the magic of tamiya exta thin and know when to use that, but it wont work for everything.

Why wont it work for everything? (aside from photo etch and/or resin) All I use when assembling models is liquid glue.

I think the biggest mistake I see people making when using liquid glue (like Tamiya thin etc.) is that they apply it to one part by brushing it on the joint and then they try to fit the other part. While this can/does work, it usually doesn't work that well. The glue evaporates very quickly and most of the glue will gas off before you can get the other part on. This is will either give you a lousy join or you will have to re-apply all over again if you aren't quick enough.

The best way to use liquid glue is to hold the two parts together lightly and touch the brush to the join, the glue will be drawn into the seam via capillary action creating a much better bond. Once you have the glue applied, a little pressure will provide an almost seamless connection.

Tamiya Extra Thin is my standard. I also use CA for quick bonding and Pro Weld when it absolutely positively has to be melted . I have and use others but those three do 98% of the work around here.

I have Ambroids non-toxic cement, the Tamiya extra thin, and two viscosities of CA. The Ambroids is not bad as a liquid sovent/cement, smells nice (like oranges) but produces a kind of weak bond is some plastics (I noticed it would not even melt/join the plastic in the Pegasus manufactured kits). Now really all I use is the Tamiya extra thin, and two viscosities of CA.

ScaleModelMadman said:
The best way to use liquid glue is to hold the two parts together lightly and touch the brush to the join, the glue will be drawn into the seam via capillary action creating a much better bond. Once you have the glue applied, a little pressure will provide an almost seamless connection.
This is great liquid cement advice / how-to...I would just add that you want to be careful when applying the cement - a little can go a very long way, try to avoid to over applying too much to a joint, this can lead to a huge mess also...and like everything modelling related, it takes a little practice and technique.

so i should try to use the extra this for everything? as long as i can hold two parts togther "zap" it in the joint?

I also use plain old tamiya cement, along with the extra thin. Tamiya cement holds a little bit better. I have had some problems with the extra thin on occasion of not holding the two parts together.

Also the regular cement can be used like the orange tube glue. Apply it and then put the parts together. I will use it when I already have paint applied, or for small delicate parts.

whiskee said:
so i should try to use the extra this for everything? as long as i can hold two parts togther "zap" it in the joint?

IMO, yes.

here's a little video showing what I mean:

USING GLUE

I threw that stuff out when Dean Martin took the dirt nap. It's been Tamiya Thin ever since....though that Ambroid stuff looks interesting. Can you snif it like Lloyd Bridges in Airplane?

Yep! That Tube Glue is only good to make Icicles in a winter diorama.... Nothing else!
Beside melting styrene or making angel hairs everywhere but where you need it!

Best glues have Been mentioned!

Tamiya thin (green cap), Tamiya liquid cement (Orange cap), Testor liquid cement (purple label)
ProWeld.... Strong stuff... C.A. glue. Thin,medium,thick, you name it it's out there...

Don't buy them all! Buy what you need when needed! If you don't do much resin or mix media models... You may never need! (I say again, may never need CA glue).

But, I must say! Tamiya thin cement or Testor liquid cement are your best friends! From now on!

Thanks Ken for the great Vid.

Hey you should also give Tenax 7r a try. On youtube the Painting Clinic's channel has a review of this stuff. It is super strong and great for glueing parts like fuselages together. It actually welds the plastic together leaving a small seam to scrape away and no gaps. I wouldnt consider it to be used for everything but its definitely handy to have around.

schweinhund227 said:
Yep! That Tube Glue is only good to make Icicles in a winter diorama.... Nothing else!
Beside melting styrene or making angel hairs everywhere but where you need it!

Actually, I have one VERY special use for the tube stuff.
I use it for battle damage on models.

(To be done in well ventilated area, and with extreme caution)
I lay the glue down where I want my damage.
Then I light it with a match and let things burn for a few seconds.
I'll also tilt the model to better simulate a directional hit.

That Testors orange tube is great glue. The tube is just a horrible delivery system.

I would keep on using that glue until it is gone. But when you do use it, put a dab on a scrap of something and then apply it with a toothpick.

But if you really do want to change glues, here is my recommendation.....

Tamiya Extra Thin in the square bottle with green cap. This stuff works awesome, but it works best with bare parts. No paint or plating in the way.

Now if you want to glue painted parts, use Revell Contacta Professional. It comes with a handy little needle applicator.

I still use Testor's tube glue, too, for some things. There are times when I might need a little time to adjust a piece before it sets completely. It's true, though, that the tube is a poor delivery system. I usually put a drop of the glue on a palette-the fake credit cards that come in the mail are good for this-and then use a pin or a toothpick to apply it to the piece.

I use liquid glue, too. I have Tamiya extra-fine, and I also have Testor's liquid cement in that odd-shaped bottle with the long spout and a wire applicator/stopper.

I also use these just for styrene-to-styrene, to get the weld bond. For other materials, like resin to styrene, to resin, or to white metal; or white metal to white metal; I'll use 2-part epoxy or CA glue.

I know this is a really old post but I still use Testors glue in the orange tube. Other glues I use are:

Gorilla Glue - blue cap. I recently discovered Gorilla Glue in yellow cap - comes with a handy brush.

Liquid glue - I have 2 kinds…
Tamiya Extra thin another called 10 Second Liquid glue - my go-to for most applications.

I never use the ones in the blue and green tubes. Reminds me of the old orange scented garbage glue of the 70s. LOL!

Latest posts

Back