Test fitting questions.

I have not tried this but - seems to me rubber cement might work - it won't dry 'hard' - once you pull it apart the glue peels off really easily. I use rubber cement to position pieces in dioramas - don't usually pull them apart though.
This one , probably close to the norm , contains MEK and Toluene - both solvents for polystyrene .

Pfft . far from it
Fortunately the portion of organic chemistry concerning the compounds used in this hobby isn't that broad .

I would imagine its a combination of different things, some gundam builders use the blue tac for wall posters to hold things in place, i could imagine on the image with the door and body some is pressed on the back to hold the door in place. I think, at the end of the day unless you plan on taking pictures like that you can achieve the same just by using tape to test fit and hold things in place while building, or like urumomo said gravity and snug fitting pins lol

To everyone that replied I should have been more specific.

I test fit one part to another part all the time. What I am referring to is I build cars and I like to customize them. One thing I always change is ride height. Fortunately I have been lucky and I usually get it right with some eyeballing.

I want to be able to put the front and rear suspension together and the wheels and tires on it. That hotrod might not have been the greatest example because that guy scratchbuilds and uses pins to hold everything together. A car kit doesn't stay together like that.

So I am essentially asking if there is a way I can glue a car kit together and still be able to disassemble it.

My question is what is your reasoning to test fit the whole car kit? Usually test fit in our mind is test fit certain components, be it fuselage, wings of aircraft, body to chassis on auto kits, etc….

If it’s the stance, you need to get 2 of the same kit. One would be your kit to work on stance. The second kit would be your kit to mirror the stance you were looking for. Does that make sense to you?

My question is what is your reasoning to test fit the whole car kit? Usually test fit in our mind is test fit certain components, be it fuselage, wings of aircraft, body to chassis on auto kits, etc….

If it’s the stance, you need to get 2 of the same kit. One would be your kit to work on stance. The second kit would be your kit to mirror the stance you were looking for. Does that make sense to you?
I explained why I want to pre-assemble most of the vehicle. I need to sort out ride height, and fit larger and/or wider tires. I need to see what changes I have to make to the interior tub in order to get those tires to fit. I have to see what modifications I have to make to fit a larger motor. And things like that.

A second kit wouldn't solve this. A second kit would only give me spares if I screw something up.

white glue, tape, pins, rubber cement, you don't need to dryfit the whole model, just the sub assemblies to see if there are any obstructions to what you are trying to achieve.

white glue, tape, pins, rubber cement, you don't need to dryfit the whole model, just the sub assemblies to see if there are any obstructions to what you are trying to achieve.
But again. Ride height. I need to be able to have the front and rear suspension assemblies put together and mounted to the chassis. And then be able to flip the whole thing over and set it on my workbench. Put the interior tub in it to check for interference, and put the body on that to make sure it all fits.

I explained why I want to pre-assemble most of the vehicle. I need to sort out ride height, and fit larger and/or wider tires. I need to see what changes I have to make to the interior tub in order to get those tires to fit. I have to see what modifications I have to make to fit a larger motor. And things like that.

A second kit wouldn't solve this. A second kit would only give me spares if I screw something up.
Nothing wrong with having extra parts. You‘ll never know when those extra parts will come in handy. It’s better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back