tamiya clear gloss?

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
does anyone have any advice on airbrushing tamiya clear gloss? I tried for the first time today i think i rushed it and applied to much now i have run off clumps. what's a good thinning ratio?

If it's clumping, you need to dilute it more. Also, is it going over a fresh coat of paint? If so, have it let it set for over 24 hours? That can cause it to "lump" as well. I'm not sure of the mix ratio though since I've never used Tamiya's clears before.

is it better to spray thin coats like with tamiya paint or is best to go ahead and hit it with a wet coats??

What I do is wet coat after painting and before decals... the rest is thin coats to seal the decals and weatherings.

So I go by this list when I'm doing a model.
  • Pre-Construction (usually consists of cutting stuff out and sanding and sanding and sanding again)
  • Construction (Glue, fills and MORE sanding)
  • Primer
  • Pre-Shading
  • Base Coat
  • Paint
  • Wet Gloss Coat
  • Post Shadowing (if needed using the airbrush)
  • Between a Thin and Wet Gloss Coat (if Post Shadowing)
  • Decal
  • Thin Gloss Coat
  • Under-Wash (filling panel lines)
  • Post-Construction (Final Pieces, i.e. wheels, rutters, tracks, propellers)
  • Weathering Wash (water or running stains types)
  • Thin Gloss Coat
  • Chalk shading (color blending)
  • Thin matte coat
  • Chalk Weathering (Stains other weather where I like a rough look to the weathering)
  • Final thin matte coat for the finish

You know what? I re-read what you originally posted and you're saying run off clumps? Then you're spraying too much if that's the case. What I do is not GLOB the stuff on when I do a "wet coat". I just do a little more than a "thin" coat but I coat is 3 or 4 times to avoid run off build ups.

If you're using future, then you only have to wait like 10 to 15 minutes before each coat and do it like 3 or 4 times. Since I use a dual airbrush, I just help it dry quicker by spraying air on it after I apply a coat.

yeah i figured i was probably being to hasty with my coats. thanks for the advice!

i recently tried just regular cheap hair spray to try and achive a semi gloss coat but its kind of patchey on the satin coat paints of the scheme and has no real effect on the matt coat paint.
i realy should look in to a dedocated satin coat spray but am not sure as if i go for the tamiya route then i dont know if ill need acrylic thinners ect makeing it an exspensive ordeal.
it will be my first clear coat of anything realy so ive got no idea, any help ??? :p

froymot said:
i recently tried just regular cheap hair spray to try and achive a semi gloss coat but its kind of patchey on the satin coat paints of the scheme and has no real effect on the matt coat paint.
i realy should look in to a dedocated satin coat spray but am not sure as if i go for the tamiya route then i dont know if ill need acrylic thinners ect makeing it an exspensive ordeal.
it will be my first clear coat of anything realy so ive got no idea, any help ??? :p

Dude, Save the hair spray for weathering. Use Future floor wax, light repeated coats. If you want Satin, add a little 99% alcohol, if you want flat, add a little more. don't over do it tho or you will end up with a gummy mess. ;)

Back