Much of that gap will be covered with the engine cowl but you are right Q, I've got some work to do. If you look closely at that same picture you can see the gap in the wheel well as well. I haven't got my hands on any Aves yet so I'll use green Squadron Putty.
Indeed I am having fun DreamKnight. I had forgotten about your Wildcat build until the other day. I watched your build videos and decided to open up the engine cowls. Unfortunately I got the cowl a little too close to the flame for a little too long and melted the bottom connection to the fuselage. Two of the flaps broke off as well. So I have had the opportunity to work with styrene to fix the problems. The fixes have been a bit challenging but I've finished them and ready to spray a primer coat.
How's this for last minute again. I knew I'd need the 29th. Anyhow the Wildcat is done. Here is a quick phone pic. I will try to post some better ones soon. I had a blast even though the going was slow.