Tamiya 1/48 6X4 Krupp Protze Kfz.70 Truck

Elm City Hobbies

IMG_6570-vi.jpg

Kit I got at the Shearwater model show a couple of weeks ago on the door prize table. Had a quick look at it, and thought it would be a quick build, and it has been so far. Took the photo above this past Monday at supper, and I am to here on the kit as of last night (Tue)

IMG_6571-vi.jpg

IMG_6572-vi.jpg

Fairly simple straight forward build. The light grey part is the diecast chassis. Not really sure why Tamiya does this, other than to maybe give it a little more weight when picking it up.

So far, other than a few knock out marks that need to be filled, it goes together well. Not sure if I will use the included 8 man crew, or just use one or 2 of them and fill the back with cargo. Time will tell. Don't know if I can do that many small faces.

OK, kit build is completed with the exception of the windshield as it is a clear part and have to mask the clear to paint the frame. Not bad, on and off, took only about 3-4 nights working a couple hours each night to build.

Now, kit comes with 8 figures. I don't like painting figures that much to want to paint 8 of them.

My thinking is a cargo load out, and a max of 4 figures, maybe 2, but which load out do you think looks better:

IMG_6580-vi.jpg

IMG_6579-vi.jpg

IMG_6581-vi.jpg

IMG_6582-vi.jpg

I am leaning more towards #3 myself, to me the load looks a little more dynamic, but thought I would ask for opinions. #3 would also mean I would only have to paint 2 figures.

Load out pieces are from Tamiya (Oil barrels and fuel cans), and Valuegear for the boxes. They are actually 1/35, but the smaller boxes don't look out of place on a 1/48 vehicle.

Man do I love Tamiya's 1/48 armor. This one is looking great.

Personally, I love #3...though a simple tarp on one of the oil barrels isn't that hard to make (maybe even an aerial identification flag). Or maybe throw an MP40 on top of the tarp for visual interest. Just a few ideas.

Great work so far...and it's great seeing a military vehicle that isn't tank.

Yeah, problem is my 1/48 armament is lacking as I am normally a 1/35 builder. Also why I didn't want to do all 8 guys for the back, as there are only 2 rifles in the kit.

I don't even have any 1/48 ammo cans or I would throw those in as well, although unlikely they would carry both ammo and fuel on the same truck, wooden boxes could be anything in them.

Load out 3 looks the best. My second pic would be the first one. Maybe there's a 5th option with a single guy in the back. I dig the look of having someone in the back possibly guarding the cargo.

Reminds me of the old 1/35 kit. Had fun with that one. 3 looks more practicle. Fast build

noc5659 said:
Reminds me of the old 1/35 kit. Had fun with that one. 3 looks more practicle. Fast build

I would have thought that they had just scaled down their 1/35 kit, but it has no resemblance to the 1/48 at all, other than being the same subject.

Digging these 1/48 kits. The Airfix 1/48 armor seems to have more parts, but softer plastic, and maybe not as sharp detail, but they still build well.

Would have liked to have seen more personal weapons and equipment included with this kit. 8 soldiers and only 2 rifles, doesn't really make much sense.

Quick update on this.

Cargo for the back of the truck is all done, figures are mostly done, just need to paint the pants on them both and the steering wheel in one guy's hands.

Then all that's left is the weathering over all. Here is where I am at tonight, approx. 33hrs or so until the CAMS show here, trying to get this done in time.

IMG_6588-vi.jpg

IMG_6590-vi.jpg

Just caching up to this one...fantastic work Scott!! #3 or #4 looked pretty nice since the question was brought up! :) Lovely work on the paint and chipping!! Keep at it!! ;)

Latest posts

Back