Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

So I glued those up, painted and installed. It's a little messy around my glue joints, even a tiny amount of the Tamiya super thin glue started to dissolve the Alclad Chrome and Aluminum paint. Need to find a better way of keeping it clean, maybe should have used CA.

10980450366_a81333b852_b.jpg

No charge at all, just had to email them a photo of the instructions. Extremely pleased with their service.

Ian said:
No charge at all, just had to email them a photo of the instructions. Extremely pleased with their service.

Isn't it strange how, as consumers, we've become accustom to bad customer service? A company does the right thing and it's a miracle. Hahah.

Glad they got you the parts!

Cool. Never had a problem with Tamiya customer service, just wasn't sure if they would offer up the parts sans payment or not. But I suppose, since it was missing from the kit (even though it was an Ebay buy...shhhhh).

Not to go off topic, but someone else that has great customer service is Pegasus. Had 2 sets of their wheels here in the shop, each one had 3 of one design, with an orphan 4th, e-mailed them with the problem and they put the missing wheels in the mail to me the next day.

Great news Ian, we are not so lucky here in the UK, not great support for Tamiya replacement parts :-[
The bike is looking good, nearly at the finish line. ;)

So this happened...

11010995165_a41b2783c9_b.jpg
11011217993_bc1ec572c2_b.jpg
11011086406_73e79b7b5e_b.jpg
11011220933_ee3027f7c9_b.jpg
11011092826_f3caca819f_b.jpg

I added a ball bearing to a bunch of my AK, Tamiya and Alclad bottles for mixing, and I'm now reconsidering the Alclad bottles! A little too much for that size I think and boy it made a mess.

Amazingly I managed to save the nice jeans I was wearing, as I immediately used a cotton bud soaked with lacquer thinner to get out some of the paint. Shirt, floor and drying table weren't so lucky.

So after the paint disaster, I then became very frustrated with the painting of very small details on one of the parts.

Here's the instruction:

11011307016_b1f8c80635_b.jpg

How that heck can I do that? Mask and brush? Given the lines you're supposed to paint to and the curved areas it seemed impossible not to make a huge mess.

I ended up changing it to just this, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself.

11011308006_5bfe316008_b.jpg

I'd love to hear suggestions from you folks on how you would tackle this. I feel my paints skills are severely lacking in the small details area.

Paint it with a water based metallic paint and a really fine brush. If you get a little over onto where there isn't supposed to be paint, you can clean it up quickly with a water soaked brush.

Still, takes a steady hand, but it can be done.

Well it was the X-18 colored areas I was having trouble with. Same thing with a water-based black?

All i can sugest is a very fine brush and a lot of patience, it looks like your painting skills are easily up to it. Also using Maskol might help?

Latest posts

Back