Shuttle Tydirium MPC build with modification's (WIP with Pic's)

Hey Mike!
That looks awesome :eek:

Regarding scribing lines in funky places, I use "label tape", I think thats the word ? right guys ? It's just thick enough to guide the scibing tool and all you need to do is stick it on the model. However, I must say, it's not the best when it comes to curved panel lines; you need to cut very thin slices of it to have it follow the curve.
Anyway, really enjoying your work buddy!

Frank

Jurasikfrank said:
Hey Mike!
That looks awesome :eek:

Regarding scribing lines in funky places, I use "label tape", I think thats the word ? right guys ? It's just thick enough to guide the scibing tool and all you need to do is stick it on the model. However, I must say, it's not the best when it comes to curved panel lines; you need to cut very thin slices of it to have it follow the curve.
Anyway, really enjoying your work buddy!

Frank

Here in the states it is called Dymo label tape. I have used it as well with good results.

That's what it's called: Dymo Label Tape!
Here (Montreal, Canada) it's available at Staples (office supply store), pretty much every single arts and crafts store and even some hardware stores.
To me, it's a "must have" for panel line scribing.
John, you made a tutorial on this right ?

Cheers guys

Thank's for all the kind words and I have checked on that tape once before at Homedepot and they did not have it but I will check at the office store. I got another wing scraped down this past weekend but not much progress made. Hope that I get sometime this week and have some more update's soon..

Again thanks for checking out my thread and the nice comments.

Mike

Dymo in the UK also

On a side note, for scribing curves I use a magnetic adhesive tape...it's made of a rubbery material & designed to stick to light objects, it has the magnetic strength of a fridge magnet......but the magnetic properties really play no benefit for what I use it for....the tape is about 2mm thick and can be stretched to follow a curve whilst being stuck down....it's adhesive isn't that strong either... similar to masking tape, so it wont damage your primed or filled surface

N85LA.jpg

John

Jurasikfrank said:
That's what it's called: Dymo Label Tape!
Here (Montreal, Canada) it's available at Staples (office supply store), pretty much every single arts and crafts store and even some hardware stores.
To me, it's a "must have" for panel line scribing.
John, you made a tutorial on this right ?

Cheers guys

Of course I did, but I don't know which video it is in. I do know that it was while I was working on the space shuttle, 747 carrier. The stuff is pretty easy to work with. I usually cut a piece in half length wise and then I get twice as much for my dollar.

You can also use each strip two or three times before the sticky wears off.

But it won't work for curves...

Thanks guy's and that is a great video.. I got into building models about two years ago and I have really learned a lot from videos and forums. I started out with an AT-AT that I thought my son and I would enjoy building. Many kit's, airbrush, work shop and tools later my knowledge and experience has grown.. Thank's Grendels not only for this video that you made but in my research I have seen many videos of yours.. Even before I found this forum. You ever put out a tutorial on using a breadboard let me know. I have one that I am not sure where to begin and can wire a few led's to a resitor but even thinking of all the lights I will have in this ship with my limited knowledge the base is going to have a few on/off switches.

I used the Tamiya Scriber and a metal ruler but will stop at staples tonight to get some of that tape.

I wish I had more updates but have had no time to model and my basement remodeling project has been dragging out I hope I can make some real progress Sat.

Hope I can get back to this shuttle a bit on Sunday and post more progress.

Thank's everyone for the support and Frank thanks for thinking of and finding that video..

Mike

Glad you liked the videos! If you have questions about lighting, just post them here. Frank and I will probably answer everything you post.

I got back it this model again and wanted to post some updates. It's really been a long build that I pick up on in between other projects. So here are some updates.

First, I was not happy with the scale and was having issues getting the bottom to line up with the floor and cockpit that I built so I went back to the kit cockpit and ran fiber and started over. I still need to make new seats.

shut1_zps972ec222.jpg

Scraped off some of the detail to the top and reworked it making my own pipes and added some detail

shut4_zpsa374d113.jpg

after some primer..

shut11_zps018aec4f.jpg

I cut out the door way and then worked on the vents.

shut2_zps89607a82.jpg

I made boxes to conceal the blue lights and wired two blue lights to shine through the vents.

shut5_zpsc9c71a64.jpg

I cut out the back for the engines, but I still need to try and find the right blue light I have some ideas will need to shop for a 4" bulb.

shut3_zpse18679d3.jpg

The front guns needed an upgrade and I used what brass tubing I had to give the ship some better fire power than what the kit provided. I wish I what of had tube one size smaller but again went with what I have picked up in the past at the LSH.

shut6_zps5812a715.jpg

notice the kit gun compared to mine that I made, look ok?

shut7_zpse77f37e6.jpg

primed,

shut8_zpsf916a341.jpg

Finally I finished the very last wing all scribed and some detail added.

shut9_zpsa835b5c8.jpg

Hope to get the lighting LED's in the wings done next and will keep-on keeping on..

Thanks, for checking and please any comments is appreciated.

Mike

One other miner detail I for got to throw in my last package of updates. I scratched out a new back wall making it slightly larger that what the kit provided.

shut10_zps4b97b76a.jpg

Thanks for checking out my build.

Builder/Mike

Watching this one closely. I'm in the process of building one myself. Didn't add any lighting to it as my skills are a tad bit too..umm...shall we say, funky at the moment but I am going try to pick another Shuttle up in the near future and try my hand at lighting her up.

Great work!

Latest posts

Back