Scott's new mancave

Considering either Vallejo or Tamiya.

And thinking rattle can clear.

Not sure about polish, or wax?

Any suggestions? Don't hesitate. I have to learn. I orders some Bare Metal Foil from ECH and a polishing sponge set.

Plan to detail the engine low budget, and try to drop the suspension. Thinking I"ll paint it lime green. My wife LOVES the color....some black too though...stripes, roof/hood...undecided.

Could always do the traditional two stripes, but lime or black stripes? Or black with lime stripes? For colors for a car I'd go with Tamiya. They have colors that will dry to a nice gloss, both in the bottle and in the can, and you could always decant from a can. Gunze would work too. Both also have their own gloss clear coats (both in bottle and can) and I believe Gunze has some kind of "super" clear that might be very shiny and glossy.

I've read about some car modelers using actual car wax on their model cars, but I'm always a bit skeptical on this. Some other guys use either the Tamiya Finish Polish or the Novus system and polishing films, cloths, or whatnot.

Wires from dead electronics to wire the engine. Just don't try to take any from an old tube TV.

It's party and get wasted night if you're anywhere near my campus. ???

When I was doing shiny cars I just used rattle cans. I've never tried one with an airbrush. Laquor is a good paint to use. But no reason you can't go with acrylic. You may want to look up Don Yost. He has a video out on painting show quality model cars.

You can make the polishing as easy or complicated as you want. There are lots of products out there and many different ways to do it. I myself use Tamiya polishing compound. I use a medium, then do it over again with fine. Makes quite a difference. Then you can certainly use a car wax/polish. Now if you want to go to town, you can follow other's tequniques with several clear coats and several polishing progressions, followed by more product.

Make sure you have a good smooth primer coat. You can sand that smooth with a fine sandpaper. Then when you paint, make sure you have a solid coat of paint. Then if you get some orange peel, you may be able to sand it out without getting down to the plastic.

Now you have me thinking of shiny cars. I've been meaning to do another drag car. :)

If you want awesome audio, Zoom H1 provides an awesome solution. It's impeccable pickups work awesome. No auto sync though or output to the camera though. The H2 does and so does the better priced Tascam DR-05. I use my H1 with my Nikon D3100

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have Don Yost's DVDs. Haven't watched the painting one yet though..just got em recently.

Scott, here is one of my cars painted with Mr. Yost's method. He strictly uses enamels (Testors, Model Masters etc.)mixed with cheap laquer thinner. Same with the clear coat. You need to invest in some 4,000 6,000 8,000 and 12,000 grit sand paper if you don't already have them. They are one of the big reasons for the quality shine. This Fairlane is only the second car I did with his method about three years ago. I've used it a lot since and I am very pleased. Definitely check out his DVD!!!

Fairlane007.jpg

I can see my reflection in that car. Amazing work and finish!

Speaking of cars, does anyone make a kit of a Mitsubishi Evo IX or X? One with an engine would be awesome, but I kinda doubt I'll find one, so if there is a kit, does anyone make an aftermarket engine, such as Studio 27?

PharmPony said:

Speaking of cars, does anyone make a kit of a Mitsubishi Evo IX or X? One with an engine would be awesome, but I kinda doubt I'll find one, so if there is a kit, does anyone make an aftermarket engine, such as Studio 27?

Check Fujimi, Tamiya, or Aoshima, they are usually the ones that do those types of cars....whether it has an engine or not is a crap shoot with those.

Beautiful shine. Wow.

I don't intend to invest in a different line of paints however a one-off purchase for a specific body color isn't unreasonable.

I"ll have to watch that DVD soon. :)

PharmPony said:

The only ppl that make the Evo X is Aoshima and there no joy on the engine ! the hood dosent even open!

i just ordered one from HLJ

No joy with HLJ for the Aoshima Evo X. They are all out of stock or backordered.

Started painting today. I have the second coat of white on. Once dry I'll mask off the orange, then grey, then wallpaper.

Following the painting it will be DIY furniture time. I'll take some pics at that point. White paint ain't too exciting to look at.

Been looking into mics/audio.

I have an ipad2, and been looking at mics for it. Not cheap...wow.

If you know of anything under $100... Let me know.

Thanks

Paint and wallpaper is done. The orange could have used a 3rd coat but I had only bought a quart and ran out. It will have to do.

533712_4237789575629_1775900344_n.jpg

575152_4237789895637_2064813151_n.jpg

Next up: workbench, shelving, lights.

Latest posts

Back