Revell Colonial Viper Build-up

Holy smokes, I have to get busting on this model before the new Moebius MkII comes out! And when did Scott's second season start? I never got an email!

Anyways, after a prolonged delay where this Viper sat in a box I have the model together and the primary colors painted.

Here's the slightly skanskish lovely pilot in place and ready to go:
JO191864.jpg

Here's some black preshading done on the recessed areas to give some depth to the finish:
JO211868.jpg

JO211869.jpg

The black paint is rattle-can primer decanted and sprayed by airbrush.

Here's an overall coat of Floquil Lettering Gray to act as a tough primer base:
JO211874.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the main color coats. It was Testors Acryl Camouflage Gray.

A whole lotta masking tape:
JO231875.jpg

I probably could have saved myself some time if I had just used some plastic food wrap for some of the masking!!

Testors Acryl International Orange stripes:
JO231877.jpg

I love Acryl paint. Spray it, hit it with a hairdryer for a minute or two and it's good to go.

JO231883.jpg

It doesn't matter how much you mask, orange or red paint will always find its way where it's not supposed to be:
JO231885.jpg

I will fix some orange boo-boos, apply the gray stripes to the intakes and the nose and then apply a glossy clear over the whole thing, then start the weathering. Hopefully I'll finish it before next weekend.
Thanks for looking!

God bless and have a great weekend, y'all :)
Joseph

WOW!!!! Outstanding work!! 8) I know what you mean about over spray no matter how much tape i use i always get over spray somewhere on my model.

Thanks for your encouragement, gents :)

We're into the home stretch now:
Oil Wash!
JO251897Medium.jpg

New Guns!
JO251901Medium.jpg

I should have this project put to bed sometime this week (fingers crossed-- oils take a while to dry)!

That Viper looks really fantastic! real fine craftsmanship!

Good luck on the home stretch! I like the international Orange.

Best Regards

-Spencer

She is done!
JO291921.jpg

JO291925.jpg

JO291926.jpg

JO291929.jpg

I use odorless mineral spirits for thinning my oils. The brand I have now is Kleen-Strip from Wal-Mart. It works really well for indoor painting and the oil paints dry a lot faster (typically overnight). I was VERY restrained on my weathering, since I wanted a fairly clean ship for m'lady. This is such a sweet and simple model kit and probably my favorite sci-fi fighter of all time. Still, I can't hardly wait to get my hands on a Moebius MKII!

Here are the paints I used for the exterior:
Primer: Duplicolor sandable black and Floquil SP Lettering Gray (lacquers)
Engine burner cans: Testors Metalizer Brass
Base coat: Testors Acryl Camouflage Gray 4766
Orange Stripes: Testors Acryl International Orange 4682
Gray Stripes: Testors Acryl Medium Gray 4746
Wash: Black and Burnt Umber oils
Filter: Yellow Ochre and Burnt Umber oils
Pastels: Black and Burnt Umber (do you sense a pattern?)
Clear coats: JW Etc Gloss varnish and Testors Acryl Flat Clear

I'm going to try to schedule a trip next weekend to see my old friend and present him this Viper. I already have some ideas for his next model gift. It is unlikely I'll be able to finish anything for him by Christmas-- remember, this Viper was supposed to be done LAST Christmas!!

Thanks for watching me build this model-- Cheers and God Bless!

Joseph

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks GREAT!! Iam sure your friend is going to love it!!

And thanks for the info on the oil paint.

Wow... I can't get over how fantastic that turned out. I am not sure if I should be inspired or intimidated :D

Dude, that was wonderful.

Cheers
Gary P

Gary said:
Wow... I can't get over how fantastic that turned out. I am not sure if I should be inspired or intimidated :D

Dude, that was wonderful.

Cheers
Gary P

Thanks very much-- don't be intimidated at all! Build for your own enjoyment and don't be afraid to make a few mistakes here and there. Goodness knows I had to correct several mistakes on this build!

Joseph

Great results, Joseph! Thanks for the SBS, it was great to follow you through all the the detailing, and the scratchbuilding and sculpting, to the wiring and the display. You've got a fantastic Viper there!

Latest posts

Back