Revell B-26 Marauder 1/48

Tanker52 said:
Well done on the surface details. The neutral gray shows the hard work you put into getting these great results. Nice job!
Thanks!
Karlov1985 said:
This is Old kit ! Nice of you to try it out !

Was young kid when build this long time ago !

She has not change one bit !

Good work cleaning it up !

looking forward to paint job
Thanks! I'm looking forward to painting as well...and getting it off the bench. :)
MrT said:
Looking very nice so far!!

Terry 8)
Thanks!
Decals are on the way.

Ferris,

really like what you've done with B26,

it should look great when the new decals arrive

great stuff,

shane.

Thanks Shane!

Supply drop!

Dekulz and a little something for later... ;)
Be back real soon! As soon as I get the P-38 to a point I can let it orbit until I finish the Marauder.
Cheers!

Ferris, Yikes! Sorry about your problems with the tires.....resin replacements look terrific.
Looks like half the plane is body putty.....you blended all the imperfections away with skill.
You've definitively turned a sow's ear into a silk purse with this build....Congrats. Bill

PANZERMAN said:
Ferris, Yikes! Sorry about your problems with the tires.....resin replacements look terrific.
Looks like half the plane is body putty.....you blended all the imperfections away with skill.
You've definitively turned a sow's ear into a silk purse with this build....Congrats. Bill
Thanks! Surprisingly, it's all coming together somewhat with it.

Peppylepugh said:
Ferris,
This is turning out just, Dandy, eh?
Can't wait to see it, with decals.
Thanks! I finally get to try painting D-Day stripes. i've been waiting for a chance. Hopefully it'll all keep flowing right for me on this one. (Fingers crossed).

The only kit on my want list I've never had. The 1/48 Marauder looks awesome! Nice choice of markings, too.

Aaron

Whole lotta work going into this one Ferris ,but looking excellent for it :) ..keep at it ;)

Chris.

So the other day, while waiting for the P-38 to do it's thing, I had some time and was still in the mood for doing some modeling work. So i took the B-26 out of mothballs (so to speak) and gave it a run through with the upper Olive drab.

When I did the pre shading before, I fell I used too much black, and in the wrong areas. because it was a pain to cover with the OD. Also, I noticed later the paint dried before it hit the model and dusted and pebble-ized. So I tried as an experiment, to take a paper towel and see what would happen if I tried to wipe it way, dried. It was interesting, the OD now looked sort of somewhat like it had flaked away (small/tiny flakes). So since things with the OD didn't turn out, I decided to wipe and sand with fine sandpaper, the green down just abit and cover it all with Aluminum lacquer top and bottom. I didn't completely cover everything, I just gave it a good layer, then i went back and on the bottom, pre shaded with the neutral grey (NG) with some black mixed in. Then I did the entire bottom with NG mixed with a little white. Then very thinned NG and more white. The result was a much better grey bottom that looks better to my eyes, the aluminum lighted it up a tad.

The next step will be (after things cure a bit) to mask and get ready for OD (again). Then invasion stripes. Then when everything is done (before clear coating) I plan to do the wipe down again to get that flake effect.
It's gonna be a few days I think before I get to that, does anyone have any comments or suggestions on that?
Thanks.

Interesting combination, to add the aluminum. I think it came out pretty realistic, should look really good when you weather it.

Sooo.......... My idea didn't work out too well. I put the paint on too thick.

Forgot the cup cover and spilt some, it seeped under the tape.

Fixed

Plan B.

Things should tone down with the flat clear and such.

Thanks for checking it out!
More to come!
Comments welcome.
Cheers!

Ferris928, You left us all hanging in those last few pics. What was plan B? I think the effect turn out very cool, so I have to ask how you did it?

Also I read you had some trouble striiping the laquor finish. in the past I have Automotive DOT3 brake fluid to remove stubborn paints, as well as laquors. Haven't had any issues with it attacking the plastic.

liquorboxracing said:
Ferris928, You left us all hanging in those last few pics. What was plan B? I think the effect turn out very cool, so I have to ask how you did it?
Yeah, I'm sorry about that, I haven't been feeling good lately, probably the first cold of the season. :(
So, What I did was use a cotton bud (q-tip) that was dried after dipping into Testors buffable aluminum lacquer and rubbed it and poked it in places to simulate wear from airflow and ground debris from landing and such.
Then I used a brush and dipped it into the paint left in the cap and taped it around, giving it the paint flake look (I hope).

This is what I was going for:

I might have over did it. Looking at the pics I took. The chipping looks far brighter than in reality and the pics were taken after a coat of future. They're still bright on the kit, but once I do a flat coat and a very thin spray of buff and such, I'm hoping it will tone it down.
Here's a few pics of the underside.

liquorboxracing said:
Also I read you had some trouble striiping the laquor finish. in the past I have Automotive DOT3 brake fluid to remove stubborn paints, as well as laquors. Haven't had any issues with it attacking the plastic.
Thanks, I've known about it and I know it works extremely well, however the toxicity of it and the disposal issues are why I don't use it.
More to come!
Comments are welcome.
Cheers!

JMac said:
Great update Ferris. Nice fix on the spilt paint too.
Thanks! It actually happened while painting the top of the kit, it ran down the engine cowling and under the masking. I'm just glad the fix was easy.

Update:
Finsihed the Gloss coat, i think I'm ready for decals. Once the future is dry, I'll take a closer look.

more to come!
Comments welcome.

Cheers!

Nicely beaten up, Ferris! You know, the paint seepage wasn't so bad, nice recovery, but I also thought that it could have been touched up to look like a really bad oil leak, or some other fluid leak. In any case, looking really good!

Nice job on a challenging paint scheme. Marauders really got beat up, and the weathering on OD over gray versions is just tremendous. That's why when I get to building mine I'll be doing a natural metal bird.

Looking good so far, should look even better when the decals come on 8)

Thanks guys!
Finally got to painting the wheels. Still need to gloss coat.

Dekulz!!!

They went down very well, though they were a pain to slide into position, went through a lot of water. I did misjudge the stripes a bit, the fuselage stripes are too high, and the wing stripes are not wide enough. According to the info I have on the particular aircraft. But I'm ok with it. After the next clear coat I'm gonna distress them a bit.

More to come!
Comments welcome.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back