Reaction between Mr Surfacer 1200 and Tamiya TS spray cans

7165jay07

Hi, has anyone else had a strange reaction when using Mr Surfacer 1200 and Tamiya spray cans? i have just laid down the first coat of colour semi gloss black) and i have patches of what can only be described as smooth semi gloss as opposed to the flat and slightly rougher matt areas? any ideas what is happening and how i can correct it.
Thanks
Jay

Wow ! This was Read 63 times and no one even attempted to help you ??? :p I'll give it a try !

My guess would be ! That both of the products you've mentioned are Enamel base or Lacquered base ! Not Acrylics that's for sure !

Meaning they are HOT ! and most likely have somehow "reactivated" the base coat!

Some peoples do it and get no reactions.... That's because they might be doing it in "very" "very" light coats ? or have used an "Acrylic barrier" between the two Enamel base product to prevent such a reaction ? or have let the substrate CURE completely for days if not weeks!!! not everybody builds kits over a week end ! not saying that's you case but if it was a Rush job ??? that could be one of the reasons why you ended up with a Reaction ???

That's my take on it ! if your Model surface is ""ruined"" i.e. bubbles, cracks, discoloration, you name it!!! You might need to strip the paint off and start over ! or a light sanding could save the day !! hard to say without pictures ! I would start fresh ! but that's just me !

and also, if your first coat wasn't dried or cured enough and its not because a surface is Dry to the touch that it is cured !!! You may have trapped some ""Gases"" from the curing process and that may have caused a reaction between the two products ?

We all learn from each other mistakes !

Hope this help a little ???

and I feel sorry, it took so long for someone to answer you post !
Best of luck with your ongoing project !

Norm.

Both Mr. Surfacer and Tamiya spray cans are lacquer based.

If the Mr. Surfacer wasn't entirely cured, the lacquer base of the Tamiya spray can could re-activate it. How long in between putting the Mr. Surfacer on before you put the Tamiya spray on? Anything less than 24hrs, and it is likely that the Mr. Surfacer wasn't cured enough, 48hr curing time is better, but you might get away with 24hrs.

No reason lacquer can't go over lacquer, as long as the previous layer is completely cured, have done it many times doing multi-colored paint jobs on car kit.

Wow ! This was Read 63 times and no one even attempted to help you ???

and I feel sorry, it took so long for someone to answer you post !

That is quite enough of that I think....it is conceivable that since there are over 1500 members on the website, that the 63 people that read it didn't have an answer to the question.

I didn't even see the question until today, despite it being posted on the 20th.

Both are lacquer based, but I don't think that is the problem. When you see smooth areas and rough areas it's usually because the paint isn't going on evenly. The paint is a bit too heavy in the smooth areas and a bit too light in the rough areas. Another issue could be the coat below it and that it is smooth in some areas and rough in others. Sanding and recoating can be used to fix the problem.

Thanks Norm, Scott and Pharmpony.
I have taken Norms advice and stripped it right back and started again. I probably didn't wait long enough between coats :-[ I know we all find time is at a premium, i try and cram in as much work as possible (i know, less haste, more speed) but maybe slowing down a bit may actually help in the long run. ;)
Interesting to know about curing time of Mr Surfacer as i got mine from ebay and the text is in Japanese. Also the gases that may get trapped between layers? As you say we learn from each others mistakes.
So, back to the beginning.
Thanks again guys.
Jay

All Mr. Surfacer products only have Japanese labels. Not really sure how a company like that is allowed to continue to sell their products in North America, yet someone like Tamiya is forced to re-label everything because they had no English on most bottles.

Latest posts

Back