Difference between Tamiya X-20A and Gunze Aqueuous Thinner T111

CY343491

Hi,
Is there a difference between Tamiya X-20A and Gunze Aqueuous Thinner T111? Are those products interchangeable? Anyone have MSDS of these products to see chemical composition?

Those companies are notoriously secretive with their MSDS sheets. But I wouldn’t think they’d be that much different. They’re mostly alcohol. The paints are very similar.

Of course, Mr. Color Leveling Thinner is a much better product to use with either of those paints…

Those companies are notoriously secretive with their MSDS sheets. But I wouldn’t think they’d be that much different. They’re mostly alcohol. The paints are very similar.

Of course, Mr. Color Leveling Thinner is a much better product to use with either of those paints…
Leveling thinner and Tamiya Lacquer thinner gives great results but i stay away from them because of fumes, alcohol is better in my opinion.

I've found composition of X-20A that someone write to another forum site who claims he found it on MSDS;
Water 54.9175%
(Purified water)
Butan-1-ol 19.9700%
(Secondary Butanol)
Propan-1-ol 14.9775%
(Normal propyl alcohol)
3-methyl-3-methoxy butan-1-ol 9.9850%
(3-methyl-3-methoxy butanol)
Additives - unknown 0.1500%
(Maybe several surfactants)
TOTAL 100.000%

Flow improver and retarder ?
both being propylene glycol ?
not needed in that alcohol bath .

Alcohol free reducers use ammonia as a surfactant .
tiny amounts .
Alcohols provide the surface tension break when present in reducers ( thinners ) .
That's what I was commenting on , the " (Maybe several surfactants) " part .

Latest posts

Back