Mr. Surfacer 1000 clean up

Jeffro 50

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is a thinner that I could use maybe from the hardware store that would be compatible to Mr. Color leveling thinner 400? (I watched a tutorial on using Mr Surfacer products, and he advised using Mr thinner 400, or leveling thinner 400 for clean up purposes). The leveling thinner is a little pricey for my budget, and also takes a while to get delivered. Thanks in advance for your help! Happy modeling!!

Just some personal opinion...

I believe Mr Color thinners use Reducer in them, not Lacquer Thinner.
Reducer (primarily for Urethanes) comes in "slow" and "fast", which means it evaporates at different rates.
You can speed up or slow down the drying time.

By allowing the thinner to evaporate slower, it gives the paint more time to settle and level.
But in cold conditions, this can also increase runs (on cars, etc).

This is not to say that Lacquer Thinner is incompatible, but it won't have the same leveling effect.
In fact, Lacquer thinner may evaporate too quickly and therefore you get less leveling effect.

You mentioned "clean up purposes"?
Do you mean cleaning surfaces? checking oversprays?, removing tape glue?
Using Mr Color for clean up is an overpriced recommendation.
Both Acetone and Lacquer Thinner are cheaper and good for clean up.
Acetone is better at removing grease and oils.
Neither are friendly to plastic, so use them sparingly.

*Reducers are available at Automotive Paint and Parts suppliers

Also, try "Final Wipe" solvent.
It will also clean up oils, grease and some glue residue, but won't remove fresh paint.
Its used as the final prep before clearcoating.

Last edited:
Yeah, using the leveling thinner to clean up is a bit extravagant. Generic lacquer thinner is sufficient.

I use generic lacquer thinner (currently, Rustoleum's product) for thinning Mr Surfacer, too (I have the 1000 and the 1500), but I have only applied it with a brush to specific areas-seams, pinholes in resin-up to now.

I also use generic lacquer thinner to thin it in the jar when it has coagulated over time.

I have not yet tried airbrushing it. In that case, I can see using the brand product, on a general principle of using a maker's products for best results. Though if I were to go down to the bench now and try airbrushing the surfacer, I'd use the Rustoleum lacquer thinner because I have it.

I use lacquer thinner on acrylics as well as enamel paints… Tamiya, Model Master, Mr.Color/Gunze, AK Interactive Real Color, to name a few.
Pollyscale? Never use lacquer thinner with PollyScale.

Just some personal opinion... I believe Mr Color thinners use Reducer in them, not Lacquer Thinner. Reducer (primarily for Urethanes) comes in "slow" and "fast", which means it evaporates at different rates. You can speed up or slow down the drying time. By allowing the thinner to evaporate slower, it gives the paint more time to settle and level. But in cold conditions, this can also increase runs (on cars, etc). This is not to say that Lacquer Thinner is incompatible, but it won't have the same leveling effect. In fact, Lacquer thinner may evaporate too quickly and therefore you get less leveling effect. You mentioned "clean up purposes"? Do you mean cleaning surfaces? checking oversprays?, removing tape glue? Using Mr Color for clean up is an overpriced recommendation. Both Acetone and Lacquer Thinner are cheaper and good for clean up. Acetone is better at removing grease and oils. Neither are friendly to plastic, so use them sparingly. *Reducers are available at Automotive Paint and Parts suppliers Also, try "Final Wipe" solvent. It will also clean up oils, grease and some glue residue, but won't remove fresh paint. Its used as the final prep before clearcoating.

This is really helpful info. Yes , as for right now it would just be for cleaning up (brushes, and maybe some removal of excess with a Qtip on seams, etc.) This is all new territory for me. so I'll take all the help I can get. I appreciate it! Best Regards

Latest posts

Back