How to convert tamiya bottled acrylics to tamiya spray

CY343491

Hi,
Is there a chart where i can convert Tamiya X or XF series paints to Tamiya aerosol can TS paints?

There’s no conversion chart. TS are Tamiya spray can colors. They would be the same color as X and XF colors.

TS Gloss Black or Flat Black would be the same as the Tamiya bottle.

The best resource for this would be Tamiya’s own chart for their lacquers, which also shows X/XF and spray cans. Otherwise the best thing to do with Tamiya’s stupid callouts for spray cans is either ask around what a color SHOULD be, or research the subject yourself. IMO this practice by Tamiya is a racket. Of course, they have a pitiful color selection anyway.

Here.

Last edited:
There’s no conversion chart. TS are Tamiya spray can colors. They would be the same color as X and XF colors.
Not necessarily, not for all colors. The TS USAAF Olive Drab isn't the same shade as the acrylic XF OD, for example. A painter would really have to check to see.

Not necessarily, not for all colors. The TS USAAF Olive Drab isn't the same shade as the acrylic XF OD, for example. A painter would really have to check to see.
My understanding is they are matches for their LP paints though. Whichever corresponding ones are also available in that range…

My understanding is they are matches for their LP paints though. Whichever corresponding ones are also available in that range…
Like I said, a painter would really have to apply both colors and compare them. I haven't seen any documentation from Tamiya to say that they're matches. There might be some, but in my experience, they're not necessarily the same colors.

If it’s the exact same Federal Standard #, yes it is the same color even if it’s a slight difference in shade.

If two things are true, it’s that a different shade makes for a different color, and many paint manufacturer’s opinions on what constitutes a certain FS # can be radically different.

Actually there aren’t many that actually match a Federal Standard paint chip.

I was looking at Tamiya acrylics and lacquer bottles and rattle cans.
However, I agree with you different paint brands can be a slightly off shade dark or light. My advice is determine what looks good enough for you in your eyes. I always compare Federal Standard numbers/colors between various paint brands I have in my stash and often choose what looks right in my eye on the subject I’m building.
Remember, there is no right or wrong shade within the FS realm. Just choose whichever looks good for you.

I was looking at Tamiya acrylics and lacquer bottles and rattle cans.
However, I agree with you different paint brands can be a slightly off shade dark or light. My advice is determine what looks good enough for you in your eyes. I always compare Federal Standard numbers/colors between various paint brands I have in my stash and often choose what looks right in my eye on the subject I’m building.
Remember, there is no right or wrong shade within the FS realm. Just choose whichever looks good for you.

Not just light or dark. Many can just plain be the wrong color. And of course that’s fine if you don’t care - you can choose whatever colors you want.

But FS36375 is a specific color. You can buy the color chip and that will be the exact color. Many paints that purport to be FS36375 are not. Close is not it. But as you say, it’s in the eye of the beholder - it may not matter. On the other hand for the purpose of authenticity many modelers want either the exact color that’s specified, or some variation of it accounting for weathering.

Latest posts

Back