How to thin Tamiya and Gunze paints with IPA

CY343491

Hi,
I have a big batch of %99 IPA, Winsor & Newton Flow Improver and Retarder, can anyone give any tips on how can i use them to thin Tamiya and Gunze paints? Their thinners works great but using IPA instead of their own thinners seems more sustainable to me.

I use lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya and Gunze paints. However some paint react badly with certain thinner types. I have zero experience in using Windsor & Newton Flow Improver/Retarder. Those paints are mainly artist oils. Not to say you can’t use them on styrene but a majority of us don’t use Windsor & Newton Flow Improver/Retarders. Use the paint brand’s thinner or lacquer thinner.

Which Gunze paints, specifically? If they are water-based acrylics, then isopropyl should work OK.
As far as the Tamiya paints go, again, if you mean their acrylic paints, then yes isopropyl works OK to thin them, for airbrushing. Though I prefer to use Tamiya's proprietary acrylic thinner with them. I have also used lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing, particular with the flat (XF) colors. I read a comment from someone that lacquer thinner gave the flat paints an absolute dead-matte finish. I didn't notice a difference, myself, so I didn't repeat the experiment.
I can't speak to the effect of the flow improver or retarder, because I don't use them, haven't it found it necessary, myself.
When it comes to brushing Tamiya acrylics by hand, though, I use only Tamiya's acrylic thinner. Any other kind of thinner doesn't work for me, in that application.

Latest posts

Back