Question for 2012 contest

Fruit said:
Looking forward to the 2012 contest!

What about the special category playing on the whole End of the World 2012 hype?

Eh?

Eh? ;D
Liking this idea myself.
No idea what I'd build for it, but I like the idea for the theme

End of the world hype.....? The world isnt going to end AGAIN is it ::) lol. Good idea for a catergory though.........

Good to hear there's some interest in it!

I just realized, I made a super error! I had not read the entire thread until after I posted the suggestion, and low and behold, Norm posted the same idea on page 2!

schweinhund227 said:
End of the world type ? LOL

*Facepalm* Exemplary case of stupidity! Sorry about that guys! (Or, it could be a case where two minds think alike, eh, eh? :D)

seems like MadMax and death race theme is up for the end of the world hype ^^ or more like it.

since most says its 2012 :eek:

Sorry to bring it up again, but anyone got anymore thoughts on my 24 hour build idea that we could incorparate into the contest?

Haven't seen it but that sound like quite an under taking

merseajohn said:
Sorry to bring it up again, but anyone got anymore thoughts on my 24 hour build idea that we could incorparate into the contest?

I see that being more of a 'special event' than a contest category. It's simply something that would be kinda easy to fake...not that anyone here would.

I haven't forgot it though.

Thinking out loud here. What about this idea? If a person has placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any category, in the previous years contest, they would not be eligable to place in the next years (or even next 2 years) contest(s). This could help to keep the contest fresh and exciting. Just thinkin' out loud here.

I think that may undermine peoples efforts, and maybe make winning less genuine. Maybe, we should have "most improved" for those who haven't won with previous entries, but can compare their last years efforts for the comp.

i see ft's point being that there are some Outstanding builders here and he knows they will win again. but then if thats teh case the admins should not be able to entre but that would be not fair on them.

but i would sudjest that if somone does take first place in one he should be exempt from it in an other, i mean whats a guy gona do with 2 of the same ab? just my taught, or mabe if they win in an other build change the prize so they dont win two of somthing, not that winning 2 of one thing isnt nice mind you.

anyhow im sure Scott and the admins have enough on there plate planning whats coming in this years comp, and im looking forward to just taking place :)

Yes spud, that is kind of where I'm going with this idea. I mean, there are a half a dozen or so builders here who will possibly (and undoubtedly), sweep the placings year after year if they choose to enter. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that we have a handful of members here at SMA that are quite literally, world class modellers! It's been nothing but beneficial to the site and personally, I've learned a ton from these guys! Extremely valuable to have the examples and resources some guys contribute...No doubt about it. BUT...As far as the SMA contest is concerned, it could eventually get a little disheartening for the mere mortals who participate. I Don't think whether or not a person is on the administration enters into it.

Well, there is no guarantee that the same folks are going to take places, right? And you can always donate your one more badger to the other competitors.
I am going to participate just for fun and to support SMA, and will try a different category (not a armor and ll open ;) )

Hey Guys,

Here's another little tweek that could help future contests. How about a minimum post count or perhaps a joined the forum by such and such a date type of policy? I couldn't help but notice that the winner of 2011's all open category joined SMA in May of 2011. Also couldn't help but notice that he is a professional modeller by trade and makes a living building models. Maybe entries should be limited to hobbyists that have belonged to SMA for a prescribed period of time. Given the growth in popularity of SMA and given the awesome contest it puts on, perhaps some new policies need to be instituted. I mean, this is no longer an indie forum and hasn`t been for some time now. SMA`s in the big leagues.

Not so sure about them not being able to place, but maybe they can't take prizes a second time. These spare prizes could be so that we look through last year's builds and compare to this year's builds in a "most improved" category? :)

I want to make a suggestion concerning the "previous/multiple winners" idea.
Rather than eliminate them from competing entirely, how about this for an idea?
A particular builder is only allowed to place ( i.e. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd) in one category.
In the event of a multiple category-winning builder, the prizes would go to the next highest vote-getters in the other categories.

They should be able to get their placings, because they have earnt it (unless it is open, then you cannot resubmit from last years comp), but they should only get one prize, the prize then going to the next down the line and so-forth. So retaining Q's idea of the prize shifting, but the builder still having the prestige of winning their category, because they obviously deserve it. But maybe implementing this "certain amount of posts" idea may work, rather than someone simply joining and putting up their uber-good professional model. Or we can demand WIP pics (don't want to get too JMN here though). I'm sure that all the lower end boys (mine placed 2nd last and 3rd last last year ::)) would be happy to applaud these great modellers.

Hi,
I'm a beginning modeler who managed to finished only two kits so far and I took part in last years contest with one of them. I didn't manage to win anything but hey that's life.

I'm still not sure if I will take part in this years contest and I don't want to offend any one with this but I'm just writing how this may look.

The idea of not allowing people who won something one year to participate next year in my opinion won't make the contest more fresh and live but it will certainly lower the bar and the quality of the contest. It can also be seen as a way of getting rid of competition so instead of trying to make a better kit and improving your skills you would only need to wait for your turn.
If one year I would place on 4-6 place and for the next one I would get 1-3 place I wouldn’t enjoy it that much. Because even if I would improve my skills and make much better kit a one that could participate with the 1-3 place kits from previous year I would think that the only reason I won is because those modelers didn't participate.

Not allowing staff to take part in contest makes sense only if they are the ones who decide on the winners but as the winner is chose by the members of the forum this doesn't make to much sense.

Another thing is the professional modelers. Wouldn’t it be great to take part in a contest and take good place among them? Wouldn’t you fell that you achieved something great? Well I certainly would and the all open category is the place to put your lives work in to a kit you’ve been working on for 2-3 years. At least in my opinion.

Setting a bar of a limit of posts wouldn’t allow participating modelers who are lurking thru this forum and only post when they finish something or think that their post would help someone. Or it can make a flood of post like “great”, “cool” just so the member would achieve a desired level of posts.

As for allowing a member to take only one place in certain category makes sense but why not on start allow people only to join with one kit per category? Because if they will join with more then you might have a situation where you will have kits on 4-5 place that should be on 2-3 because they are that good.

It’s just my 2 cents and my opinion in which I didn’t want to offend any one just state how this might look after the rules are implemented.
Cheers
Karolina

Latest posts

Back