Question for 2012 contest

--shrugs--
It's Scott's call for sure, but, to me, even if a model is scratch built, it would still fit into one of the already established categories.
After all, they're based on subject matter, not on method.

There will not be a dedicated scratchbuild category in 2012. As the contest grows we will look at adding more specific categories however I do not anticipate that for several years.

Scott Girvan said:
There will not be a dedicated scratchbuild category in 2012. As the contest grows we will look at adding more specific categories however I do not anticipate that for several years.

I know I am dreaming to bring this up!

I still believe the armor and air categories should be sub divided by scale! 72, 35 , 16 And 72, 48, 32
As the difficulty in weathering and assembly increase... By scale!

So that people can openly compete at the same level of difficulty!

If you start now! It will be another thing you won't have to do the next year and so on!
Even now! You even talk about a Junior class! Which is Awesome! BTW

Scott! I don't know how you arrange the sponsorship from Badger but I have a brainFart!
Next time you talk to them.... If not one so already? Ask if the prizes they offet could be exchanged for something else by Badger? Not that I don't like the prizes but in essence to give the winners a chance at downgrading or upgrading Their prizes! By that I mean, if someone has already enough Airbrushes! And would like something else that badger carries? Like more paints or supplies (spare needles, paint nozzles ) Maybe an air compressor ?

Would badger be kind enough to honor that request? By giving a Gift certificate of a certain vlue versus a actual prize?

Don't dismiss my idea too fast! As many here have won and won again! If they had the oportunity to exchange some of their Gift certificates they could have picked a better airbrush or selected a few of lesser value as they wished!

Just pushing forward some ideas!

Take care all!

Scott Girvan said:

You hate me. :'(

;D

schweinhund227 said:
I know I am dreaming to bring this up!

I still believe the armor and air categories should be sub divided by scale! 72, 35 , 16 And 72, 48, 32
As the difficulty in weathering and assembly increase... By scale!

So that people can openly compete at the same level of difficulty!

If you start now! It will be another thing you won't have to do the next year and so on!
Even now!

I think this is a valid idea. Perhaps split them just once, at say 1/48 for example, so you don't end up with too many categories. Or what if the categories themselves were scales or scale ranges? All planes, armor, whatever in 1/72 scale go in one category etc. Yes, it's different than everybody else does it but there's nothing wrong with a little rebellion. ;D

schweinhund227 said:
You even talk about a Junior class! Which is Awesome! BTW

I agree! Awesome indeed!

schweinhund227 said:
Scott! I don't know how you arrange the sponsorship from Badger but I have a brainFart!
Next time you talk to them.... If not one so already? Ask if the prizes they offet could be exchanged for something else by Badger? Not that I don't like the prizes but in essence to give the winners a chance at downgrading or upgrading Their prizes! By that I mean, if someone has already enough Airbrushes! And would like something else that badger carries? Like more paints or supplies (spare needles, paint nozzles ) Maybe an air compressor ?

Would badger be kind enough to honor that request? By giving a Gift certificate of a certain vlue versus a actual prize?

Don't dismiss my idea too fast! As many here have won and won again! If they had the opportunity to exchange some of their Gift certificates they could have picked a better airbrush or selected a few of lesser value as they wished!

Just pushing forward some ideas!

Take care all!

I don't know what the relationship with Badger is like but as gracious as badger has been I'd be very careful. If they were to dish out gift certificates i doubt the amounts would be anywhere near the retail cost of the prizes. Giving away an AB only cost them what it costs them in time and materials to make(Not that that is insignificant). Besides, if you have too many airbrushes why not just offload some of them. Even give them away.

I think this comes under the heading of "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Just my two cents. 8)

ShutterAce said:
Besides, if you have too many airbrushes ... Even give them away.

Exactly, I've done that with some of my multiple winnings in both contests. Just pay it forward.

ShutterAce said:
I think this comes under the heading of "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

^ This

Ok. I understand the reasoning for this conversation, I do. It's been discussed before too and having different categories for different scales is a valid consideration.

But we need to have a bit of a reality check. I am mean that with all the love I can invoke.

SMA is young. We have a core of approx 80 members that are registered and really make this site what it is. There is usually about 30 members online per day. We also have about 80 guests per day. Cool. I'm happy to see things growing.

Same goes for the contest. There isn't enough yet to justify all the categories. When we grow to the point that...there just isn't another way, then yeah - we'll look at dividing things up. But not now.

As for Badger...see above. Badger has been extremely generous. I prefer that He dictates his involment. We have been dicussing how to deal with multiple wins from the same member and have a strategy in place, which will be addressed in the official 'rules' in March.

I have to agree here with leaving the categories as is for now. I think adding the Jr category is the right move, but breaking up the others into different scales, or scratchbuilt vs non scratchbuild....at this point it is way too early.

The only thing I could see at this point maybe would be to break up the All Open and subdivide it a little (aircraft, armor, dio, auto, etc, etc). Maybe have a separate sub category for each genre in it, the one in each of the genres with the most votes goes on to compete with the other winners in the All Open category, giving a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Otherwise the categories to me are good to go for now, and for awhile I would think. Last thing I would want to see is the contest ending up like an IPMS with 70-80 + categories.

I do agree with the breaking up with the scales 1/35 and 1/72 (armor) 1/72 and 1/48 (Aircraft) which are standard categories.

Good thing there's no Armor vs Soft armor, Wheeled vs Track (what about half-track), prof vs jet,

dio vs vignette...

just my 2 cents

1/48 is just as standard in armor as 1/72, if not more so actually. To be fair we better offer that scale as well.

Of course that means we can't leave out Tasca's 1/24 Panzer II if someone wants to build that one

...or Trumpeters 1/16 M16 Half Track

...didn't Dragon just announce a 1/6 Sherman tank?

Okay! so that's 6 different categories for armor alone! I think we had 15 armor entries this year, so that averages about 2 1/2 entries per category. Wait, no it doesn't, some of those entries were wheeled vehicles, which should have a separate category too! That leaves it at about two entries per category!

Everyone is a winner!!1!

...but wait, we don't have enough prizes left to give out to the other category winners!?

I wonder if they'd be cool with just getting a 'Well done!' or a 'Good job!'

hmmm, maybe we should just make one category called armor for all the above?

;)

ScaleModelMadman said:
1/48 is just as standard in armor as 1/72, if not more so actually. To be fair we better offer that scale as well.

Of course that means we can't leave out Tasca's 1/24 Panzer II if someone wants to build that one

...or Trumpeters 1/16 M16 Half Track

...didn't Dragon just announce a 1/6 Sherman tank?

Okay! so that's 6 different categories for armor alone! I think we had 15 armor entries this year, so that averages about 2 1/2 entries per category. Wait, no it doesn't, some of those entries were wheeled vehicles, which should have a separate category too! That leaves it at about two entries per category!

Everyone is a winner!!1!

...but wait, we don't have enough prizes left to give out to the other category winners!?

I wonder if they'd be cool with just getting a 'Well done!' or a 'Good job!'

hmmm, maybe we should just make one category called armor for all the above?

;)

Nevermind the 1/144, 1/32, and 1/24 aircraft. How about 1/43, 1/16, 1/12 and 1/8 automotive, but we would then have to break that up into street cars, racing cars, heavy trucks and equipment.

As you should be able see, both Ken and are are being facetious, and it is obvious that no matter what is done, not everyone will be happy, and that if we tried to make everyone happy, that it would very quickly spin out of control with 60-70 different categories, with only 2-3 entries per, just so everyone thinks they have a fair chance and gets in on the goodies....problem with that though, just because the categories would increase, doesn't mean that the prize pool increases proportionally.

If you are going to start making categories by scale, don't forget Sci Fi:

1/20 1/35 for Ma. K
1/48 1/100 1/200 1/1000 1/350 1/1400 1/2500 and I can list this for a very long time. We will have more categories than entries! Mainly because most Sci Fi kits are made in their own scales.

Eh, I'm o.k. with it. It's not like I'm not aloud to scratch build. Moo-hoo-wa-ha-ha-ha!
Seeing all the kick butt builders I'm up against now. (OH BOY!!!! :-\) I gotta do something very unique and different. I am so looking forward to spring 2012.

Cheers

How about a 24hour build!? Take a picture of say sky news/cnn for example with you unstarted kit next to the clock on the tv, then the next day another photo of the kit finished (or however far you got) next to the tv with the time? Get a cheap snap kit or even scratch something?
Could be fun? ;D

MJ - I've actually thought about that in the past...but not as a contest cat...just a weekender. It could be really fun. The trick would be to choose a date that works for as many people as possible...or designate one 'week' where you fit your 24hr build in.

We'll do that sometime.

Heh, this could be fun!
But guys, be realists! :) I can hardly imagine a kit, that is possible to be built within 24 hours (even if you don't sleep, eat, and only stand up every hour and exercise for a couple of seconds to let some blood to your muscles)
It would be EXTREMELY hard to fit with the layer's curing time, even if you super-plan your work to take one part of the kit while another is curing.

Wait! I clicked "post" and immediately remembered snap-together prepainted kits. Don't read my previous post! ;D

I have participated in weekend builds. They are doable but you have to really want to do it. I was in one that was 1700 hours local Friday to 2400 hours local Sunday and I was the only one that made the deadline. Granted I made it by about 15 minutes but I made it. :p

Latest posts

Back