Question for 2012 contest

That's a good thought Biz but would be difficult to implement. Prizes were very generously donated and a system of reward was set up well before any results were known. See what I mean Biz? Unless you have a crystal ball...

Bizarre said:
What do you think about "alternative" prize variants if the person already won airbrushes from Badger before? F.e. a full set of AK-interactive products or a big set of Vallejo acrylics? Just a thought...

That really is dependent upon what the contest gets for prizes to give out. I think the count last year was something like 27 Badger airbrushes? So no matter where you turned, Pretty much 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category got an airbrush (or pretty close to it). Not saying that is going to happen again this year....we might only get 6-7 airbrushes, maybe only 1....who is to say.

I am the prize co-coordinator for our local show here, and I can honestly say that it is alot of work to get prizes for the show. Don't get me wrong...I love doing it, but you really can't make any decisions as to what category is going to get what, until just days before the show, so you know everything that you have.

Elm City Hobbies said:
fumblethumbs said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
In my estimation professional means being skilled enough and savy enough to be paid for any given service. So, yes by my definition you are a professional. Agreed...Slippery slope!

LOL...all I did was build a couple Tamiya T-55 kits, one OOB to show off a set of resin road wheels, the other to show off a T-54 backdate set. No painting was required, just nice clean build with no visible glue marks. My payment, a couple of resin conversion kits/wheels of my choice. Wasn't really difficult (thanks to a superb kit to start with), something pretty much anyone could do, I was just lucky enough to be chosen.

Let me ask you this....if someone builds a model, takes pictures all the way through the building and painting process, and uses those pictures along with an article they wrote to be put in a magazine, they they would get paid for, does that make them a professional modeler? They are getting paid for their work. Heck if I submit a photo to FSM to go in their Reader's Gallery, you get paid for it. That hardly makes a person a professional modeler in my book.

Heck, I was accused of being a professional modeler, just because I own a hobby shop. Last time I checked...owning the business didn't all of a sudden over night make me a better modeler. Would be nice if it did....but lets be realistic shall we! LOL

Yep, I did and do agree Scott...Slippery slope! How about: A person who's primary means of income is generated through model building?

LOL.... Almost sounds like you are apologizing..... Please Don't! It is a very good discussion and Name Calling only gets those treads deleted anyway! So it pays to keep civil! Which we all have been so far!

Since the big contest has been established... There have been huge influx in membership. Which again! Is 'Awesome, for a community to show that it is growing..... And SMA has managed to attract some pretty incredible Builders and Sponsors....

But to spot 1,124 "new users" In one month then 927,821,716,525 Or 1,583 last June ALONE! humm? And then down to only a mere 3 the next? Ouch! Now we are not even gathering anything above 50 new users per month.....excepted for last August..... So we should keep an eye on those stats.... And see if there is a trend? (of course there is one!).

Changes would be nice, i agree with you on that, but if SMA starts now...I am willing to bet, we would End up facing the same sort of rules seen in bigger model shows! For which we don't have much love for...
I am talking IPMS style or even the more controversial Open concept.

People's choice is probably the best solution to keep until this grows so big! It blows up in our faces.

Let's hone our skills and work on making this the best place on the web!

And feel assured that I've heard YOU! And stand next to you! Maybe a mendatory "Build log" could shed light on all entered builds.... Instead of seeing the end product on Judging day? I don't see why not? With Exception the "All open" category!

Hopefully the "LOCKED" option won't be implemented? And that more peoples have a say.... Maybe in all of this.....something great can be BORN? Who knows?

schweinhund227 said:
LOL.... Almost sounds like you are apologizing..... Please Don't! It is a very good discussion and Name Calling only gets those treads deleted anyway! So it pays to keep civil! Which we all have been so far!

Since the big contest has been established... There have been huge influx in membership. Which again! Is 'Awesome, for a community to show that it is growing..... And SMA has managed to attract some pretty incredible Builders and Sponsors....

But to spot 1,124 "new users" In one month then 927,821,716,525 Or 1,583 last June ALONE! humm? And then down to only a mere 3 the next? Ouch! Now we are not even gathering anything above 50 new users per month.....excepted for last August..... So we should keep an eye on those stats.... And see if there is a trend? (of course there is one!).

Changes would be nice, i agree with you on that, but if SMA starts now...I am willing to bet, we would End up facing the same sort of rules seen in bigger model shows! For which we don't have much love for...
I am talking IPMS style or even the more controversial Open concept.

People's choice is probably the best solution to keep until this grows so big! It blows up in our faces.

Let's hone our skills and work on making this the best place on the web!

And feel assured that I've heard YOU! And stand next to you! Maybe a mendatory "Build log" could shed light on all entered builds.... Instead of seeing the end product on Judging day? I don't see why not? With Exception the "All open" category!

Hopefully the "LOCKED" option won't be implemented? And that more peoples have a say.... Maybe in all of this.....something great can be BORN? Who knows?
Hey Norm...Good to hear your take on this. Me apologize??? Only if I do something wrong Norm!! No, simply agreeing with Scott on his valid points. I sure don't see any reason to lock this thread. It's been very respectful so far! The changes some are suggesting Norm, are IMHO to keep "our" contest from becoming one of those "big" type contests. You're right Norm, it would be nice to have more folks chime in on this and voice their opinions!
Bizarre said:
I agree about build log. It's great to see how the things are actually done.

Yep, 100% agree with you Biz!

Lots of posts here today...

I just wanted to add in my thoughts;

I agree with comments made by Scott (ECH) and Coraline. I was incredibly happy when I got 2nd place in the aircraft catagory last year, mainly because I was not expecting to win a thing leading up to the voting. I was concentrating on the aircraft builds and I thought the competition was awesome - builds that in my mind were much better than mine. I liked the competition.

Setting up a contest where there is a sizable handy cap, to me does not seem like much of a competition. I think that would diminish it. I would rather know that the builds that won were the best ones in the category. I wouldn't want to win by a technicality, or by an exclusion. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love getting prizes, but to me it wouldn't be a real solid win.

Just my two cents.
Jason

schweinhund227 said:
I understand you all to well ! and to support your idea; I will be entering something in 2012.... in a category that I am not known to be at ease with! I don't know what exactly as of yet ? but it won't be in Armour.... Just to challenge myself even more ! maybe I will learn something new ?

Norm, this not would be called fair competition if you left out. I do think it can motivates to be better not to envy your builds... Scott says its to support our community, yes some may think its about the prizes "That's already given" but being a modeler we need to compete in a category that we've join... we have members all around the globe...

Quaralane said:
Personally, I say we should limit the contest purely to new entries. Started at the beginning of the contest. In the categories for the contest.

+1 totally agree with this idea Q.

@Spud
Just a suggestion I think the right category for you is a speed build category ;D

Ken Abrams said:
fumblethumbs said:
...See what I'm sayin'?

Considering I have given most of my airbrushes away both years, no I cant say that I do.

No Ken, that question was for Scott (ECH) not you. Care to share any other thoughts or comments toward the discussion Ken?

Here's my 2 cents. What about, to enter the contest you must of been a member for a couple of months to qualify, that would eliminate the 'latecommers'.

Could it be set up so that maybe the winners could choose between the prize or a gift card.

I do appreciate the spreading the wealth in theory but to be realistic, it is a contest. And although winning is not the be all and end all i think it should be the goal of all entrants. If the same people win, Good for them i say, it just means i have to keep practicing and improving my own skills, who knows with the help, may be, of last years winners. That is the beauty of our SMA you can always get very helpful feedback and tips for our projects from some truly talented builders.

The main goal is to enjoy ourselves and each others projects, plus with the members voting to decide the prize winners, if they felt stongly about repeat winners or 'latecommers' they could maybe adjust their voting habits, we the members are free to decide who we vote for.

What a great debate.

Carry on.

Tony

Eastrock said:
schweinhund227 said:
I understand you all to well ! and to support your idea; I will be entering something in 2012.... in a category that I am not known to be at ease with! I don't know what exactly as of yet ? but it won't be in Armour.... Just to challenge myself even more ! maybe I will learn something new ?

Norm, this not would be called fair competition if you left out. I do think it can motivates to be better not to envy your builds... Scott says its to support our community, yes some may think its about the prizes "That's already given" but being a modeler we need to compete in a category that we've join... we have members all around the globe...

Quaralane said:
Personally, I say we should limit the contest purely to new entries. Started at the beginning of the contest. In the categories for the contest.

+1 totally agree with this idea Q.

@Spud
Just a suggestion I think the right category for you is a speed build category ;D

Fair competition is only achieved when you are "leveling up" to people's of the same Caliber!
Which is extremely difficult to do in an On Line contest!

I still think that OUR Intermadiate Modeler's here at SMA should compete with themselves ! Not against Advanced or Master Modelers ..... I have been to shows where a master modeler had entered as an Intermadiate and raffled all 3 places in almost all the categories he had entered! After that, I gave up!

With the amount of Prizes that were handed out last year alone.... It would have been possible to run it that way! Your models are still seen with the others.... But judged or impaired accordingly Heck. Some of the 4th or 5th place prizes were as nice if not better than the 1/2/3 places....

The big SMA SC is only in its infancy! Maybe it is Still too early to bring radical changes to it yet?
That's the Vibe I'm getting from the more respected members here! And with the amount of post here alone.... Today! It shows that we have hit a Bone!

There is plenty of room for us all to find a spot and compete in a friendly manner! Nothing wrong with
That!

Still! If people's remember the headache of finding the Top 3 in the open cat. Last year? It's only going to be worst this year! So hold on to your hats Boys n Girls.

I'm fine with the contest as is. If there were no prize to win, half the fun would be gone right there. I've won something both years but I've never been accused of being an expert/professional builder. Not that I'd mind. ;D Alternative prizes would be good. Heck I don't even own any AK/Mig products. I'm glad I had the opportunity to win a couple of air airbrushes, I'd never had been able to get them otherwise. I had never owned a pigment until I just recieved my three Modelmakerz. I don't have what you'd call a regular job, so I enjoy getting something for my hard work. Now I feel like I'm being picked on for building a decent model or two. :'( Boo hoo. Just kidding. I'll go along with whatever is best for everyone.

If I were fortunate enough to win again and I ended up with another airbrush, I'd be okay with passing it along. But.... the competition is getting stronger each year. You don't necessarily know who is going to win.

I think you've hit it on the head Norm! Entrants should be competeing against folks of their same (or close) skill level. Excellent point Norm!

Eastrock said:
@Spud
ya may as will give me my prize now then ;D

schweinhund227 said:
I still think that OUR Intermadiate Modeler's here at SMA should compete with themselves ! Not against Advanced or Master Modelers ..... I have been to shows where a master modeler had entered as an Intermadiate and raffled all 3 places in almost all the categories he had entered! After that, I gave up!

With the amount of Prizes that were handed out last year alone.... It would have been possible to run it that way! Your models are still seen with the others.... But judged or impaired accordingly Heck. Some of the 4th or 5th place prizes were as nice if not better than the 1/2/3 places....

The big SMA SC is only in its infancy! Maybe it is Still too early to bring radical changes to it yet?
That's the Vibe I'm getting from the more respected members here! And with the amount of post here alone.... Today! It shows that we have hit a Bone!

There is plenty of room for us all to find a spot and compete in a friendly manner! Nothing wrong with
That!

Just posing the question, how would we separate this forums "advanced" modellers, from our "intermediate"? I think it might be difficult to work out. Maybe more categories might help. Maybe those with past wins are automatically forced in to a higher difficulty. If the contest is structured this way, and placing your entry in the correct skill level catagory is left to the entrant, then you run the risk of the dishonest behavior Norm mentioned. Left up to the admins, it's an extra burden of rules, policing and tracking. with more entries, it might get onerous.

Nonetheless the Admins and Mods have the last words separating the Master Class and the Intermediate Class since we are on-line community. we just have to face the music and compete to the category that we've join... its all about showing your builds to the modelling community, either your a Master Builder or a Noob...

Already geared up, package for parts had just arrived... just need to think about the category that's totally out of my comfort zone... maybe a figs, car... does Motorcycle still falls under cars category? since we don't have category for ships.

Latest posts

Back