Problems hand painting details

c114bs

Hello - new to modeling and having problems with detail work. Using Mission Models paint. I airbrush primer and the the base color. Plenty of dry time for everything. When I come back to hand paint details the new color seems to be mixing in with my base color and leaving a blotchy, faded appearance. Do I need to seal the base color before hand detailing other colors on top of the base?

Thanks.

Mission Models primer and thinner and colors. At least a day cure time. Between anything. Using same brand for hand painting small details over base color. Don’t have or use the poly.

That thread above is all the info I got .
I'd switch paint - otherwise you need the urethane additive . , or varnish between colors .

Hello - new to modeling and having problems with detail work. Using Mission Models paint. I airbrush primer and the the base color. Plenty of dry time for everything. When I come back to hand paint details the new color seems to be mixing in with my base color and leaving a blotchy, faded appearance. Do I need to seal the base color before hand detailing other colors on top of the base?

Thanks.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't used that paint but would suggest sealing the top coat before overpainting. Pantherman

Thanks.
Mission models paint is notorious for this.

When you airbrushed the paint how did you mix the paint? Meaning did you add their thinner and their poly additive to your mix?

I tried out Mission Models paint on a build. The colors are very spot on or vibrant, I really do like them. But when you apply the paint the best way to describe the results is almost like you powdercoated your parts and didn't bake them. Becaue if you apply some moisture the paint comes right off, even if it is cured. Its like you just laid some pigment down on your parts and not actual paint.

So long story short. If you want to use Mission Models paint. spray your basecoat, then seal it with clear. Then do your detail painting. And when you do your detail painting, use a different brand of paint that will actually stick to your part.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back