Painting question.

jnicholes

Hello everyone. I am posting because I have a very simple question about painting model aircraft. Before I pick up my paints, I feel like I need to ask this and get some information.

I have a 1:72 P 47 thunderbolt kit. I decided to do this as my first build.

I have a very simple question. Do you paint the model pieces first, and then glue all the pieces together?

I ask because I have not built a model airplane in years. I’m just trying to get back into it.

What is the best way to do this?

Jared

Assemble then paint .
You can paint subassemblies to make things easier - like completing a cockpit or engine prior to installation into the fuselage .

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. As soon as I get my paints and glue, I will start posting my progress.

Hello everyone. I am posting because I have a very simple question about painting model aircraft. Before I pick up my paints, I feel like I need to ask this and get some information.

I have a very simple question. Do you paint the model pieces first, and then glue all the pieces together?

I ask because I have not built a model airplane in years. I’m just trying to get back into it.

Jared
Always best to have a good read of the instructions a few times so that you know what inner parts will be seen. Make a little mark or note on the instruction panel as it's easy to get a bit over excited when building only to realise that you needed to paint the assembled section first.

Always best to dry fit first anyway, less errors that way. Pantherman

Jared
I'm not expert on aircraft models, but in my opinion, if you paint your fuselage and wing parts seperately, there'll be tone and shading differences and it will be difficult to glue parts. In my opinion you should glue all the model, mask all the required areas then paint it

In my opinion for a great number of reasons.

Paint the inside bits.

Finish the construction part including canopy all masked up parts not wanting to be painted.

Then fill sand, prime then paint. Then Varnish gloss for decals. Then depending on what finish you want what type of aircraft military civil. Military perhaps matt varnish civil bit of gloss maybe.

Laurie

Short answer is both. HAHA

I mainly build car models, but I think this translates into any type of build.

I paint parts separately. But if two parts that get glued together are the same color. And you can glue them together ahead of time. Then assemble them first, then paint.

Latest posts

Back