Primer coat feels like sandpaper

scifimodeler

Hiya - Why does my primer coat feel like sandpaper. It seems like no matter what type of paint I use, i get this nasty gritty feel.

i Could be wrong but it sounds like low pressure you are spraying with, what psi do you have your compressor set at when spraying?

There could be a number of factors to think about there .

Is you paint too thick ?

Is the model completely clean/dust free ?

Do you have a water trap fitted ? water coming up the airline can also leave lumps under the paint which appears like dirt .

What paint /AB are you using ?

Chris.

I am using model master acrylics. I have them thined to about 60% paint 40% acrylic thinner. I use a badger100 airbrush. My compressor has a trap on it so there is no water.

I would thin the paint a bit more ,I normally thin at least 50/50 in some cases more ,but thats a good start, the paint should have the same consistency as milk .Also drop your pressure down ,maybe about 18-20 psi ...more if needed 14-15 psi .

What happens when the primer is too thick and sprayed at high pressure is you tend to get a lot of splatter or overspray ,this lands on the surface nearly dry and leaves a rough surface that once painted over does feel like sand paper ...I think this is whats happening to you .

Try that and see how it goes .

Chris.

It's your primer coat right? Perhaps it's the primer and not your AB. I've always gotten the very same texture out of spray can primer (Rustoleum, Duplicolor, here States sides)but recently started shooting Mr. Surfacer 1200 through my AB thinned down some 70% on recommendation from a thread at SSM. Almost a glass finish with no sanding. You literally can buff this stuff to a mirror reflection. (not really, but very shiny and extremely smooth)

Chris S said:
I would thin the paint a bit more ,I normally thin at least 50/50 in some cases more ,but thats a good start, the paint should have the same consistency as milk .Also drop your pressure down ,maybe about 18-20 psi ...more if needed 14-15 psi .

What happens when the primer is too thick and sprayed at high pressure is you tend to get a lot of splatter or overspray ,this lands on the surface nearly dry and leaves a rough surface that once painted over does feel like sand paper ...I think this is whats happening to you .

Try that and see how it goes .

Chris.

Good advice. You might also be spraying the model with the airbrush too far from the surface that is being painted. After changing the thinner ratio and the pressure setting, if you still have a problem try moving closer the airbrsh closer to the surface.

Jason

JMac said:
Good advice. You might also be spraying the model with the airbrush too far from the surface that is being painted. After changing the thinner ratio and the pressure setting, if you still have a problem try moving closer the airbrsh closer to the surface.

Jason
Correct. This is what happens no matter what paint you use. The paint particles can't form a film, or wet surface if they dry before they hit the surface of your model. Too far away causes the paint to become too atomized to be effective. That's why most manufacturers suggest that you spray no more than 8 - 12 inches away from the surface to keep the air inside the can from drying the paint as it escapes while being sprayed.

Latest posts

Back