Patlabor Maintenance Facility

Something I thought I would add today is a video tutorial on the assembly of a basic box like component, for those that may be interested.
Now this is my first U-Tube video so I know it is rough, but I hope I get the info across.

http://youtu.be/ZIj3DvVlDhg

Any questions I'm always willing to answer.

If there is interest I can put one up on tube structures.

Jim

Very cool Video Jim. and i wouldn't call it rough good quality and well explained. ;)

Thank you Spud.
I just got a half decent video camera and am still learning. Especially the production side.

Jim

Very nice vid! thanks a lot I'll be watching it a few more times to make sure I got everything!

Here is the 2nd video on preparing tubes.

http://youtu.be/zeBEgEFGCto

I hope this is informative.

Jim

Update Time.

The platform for the service gantry is built and all the pieces for the bottom of the platform are assembled.

Platform1_zps9b2380a6.jpg

Today should have all these pieces installed and will have started on the top of the platform.
Soon coming to the end of this part of the build and will be able to start on the construction of the Ingram.

Have a good day.

Jim

Time for an update.
As you know I have been working on the platform for the service gantry.
The bottom parts are all now installed.

Platform2_zps0bfb302b.jpg

I have been also working on the features for the top side of the platform.
The Ingram service monitoring station has been constructed and installed. This would also be a good candidate for lighting at some future build.
Have also started on the construction of the railing that goes around the platform. These square tubes are very finicky to build and keep straight.

Platform3_zpsa5e64410.jpg

I'm going to let these cure over night before I start to install them. Once the railing is done this platform can then be mounted to the lift mechanism.

Thank you for watching.
Questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Wow Jim,

First time I see papercraft, didn't know such thing existed besides origami. Lol. Your work is quite impressive.

Some questions if you don't mind:

How small does papercraft get to be?

How long does a papercraft model like yours last?

Does papercraft extend to more "complex" shapes, perhaps a face?

Thanks,
Luis

Hi Luis.
First of all Thank You.
Papercraft (paper card modeling) can be worked to quite a small scale.
Check out my 1/1200 HMT Olympic build in watercraft. that was a micro build.
They can last a long time. I know modelers that have models that are over 40 yrs old.
They can be very complex including figurines and facial models. In fact I have a figurine build of mine that is a full meter and a half tall. It is a very versatile medium and can build what ever your imagination lets you.
I hope that gives you some insight into this genre.

Jim

Papermodder said:
Hi Luis.
First of all Thank You.
Papercraft (paper card modeling) can be worked to quite a small scale.
Check out my 1/1200 HMT Olympic build in watercraft. that was a micro build.
They can last a long time. I know modelers that have models that are over 40 yrs old.
They can be very complex including figurines and facial models. In fact I have a figurine build of mine that is a full meter and a half tall. It is a very versatile medium and can build what ever your imagination lets you.
I hope that gives you some insight into this genre.

Jim

Just came from visiting most of your builds. The 1/1200 Watercraft definitely impressed me, the size is insane. Definitely a skilled hand is necessary for your hobby. Awesome work, keep it up. ;) Looking forward to what you do on the future.

Tonight's Update.
Made a small square out of card, Then glued in all the uprights for the handrails, making sure they were all square. When dried, then glued on the top rails, and let dry.
Here is the finished platform.

Platform4_zps5fca224a.jpg

This was then squared up to and glued to the lift of the gantry.

PlatformandGantry1_zps295b94c5.jpg

PlatformandGantry2_zps286fe2da.jpg

PlatformandGantry3_zpsaf5aabbc.jpg

I will let this dry over night. Then will attach this assemble to the Maintenance Station.
This will complete the major construction of the maintenance station. There are some details I want to add, but will wait till the Ingram is completed. There are some service umbilical to attach to the Ingram and I do not like the ones supplied, so will be scratching those when the time comes.

Have a good evening.

Jim

Latest posts

Back