Paint purchase dilema

dkev

I have a few dollars I am going to spend on paint. It always seems like no matter how much paint I get, I never have that right color I need. So I am going to purchase a full line of either of 2 brands. Bare with me while I hash this out. I can buy the full line of Vellejo Air. 111 in all. I already have their 76 bottle case of Model Color. Or I can buy both Tamiya's 10ml and 23ml line. 141 bottles in all. With the 40 bottles I already have that will give my both sizes full line. I love and use both brands. I find myself leaning towards Tamiya but I wanted to get your input as well.

If you are contemplating both Tamiya lines (although I am not sure why, as I think the colors are the same), then why not also contemplate both the Vallejo Model Color as well for your brushing needs. Maybe not the whole line, but maybe buy the Model Color basic colors set (72 colors). A much better paint to brush paint with than Tamiya.

BTW, there are now 122 colors in the Model Air line

Pretty sure the Tamiya colors are the same.. its just 2 sizes..

I would get the Tamiya in the larger jar.. and pump the rest of the cash into the Vallejo...

or the smaller jars and get even more vallejo..

If you do end up getting the smaller jars you might also want to double up on some of the commonly used stuff.. the blacks, whites etc.

Elm City Hobbies said:
If you are contemplating both Tamiya lines (although I am not sure why, as I think the colors are the same), then why not also contemplate both the Vallejo Model Color as well for your brushing needs. Maybe not the whole line, but maybe buy the Model Color basic colors set (72 colors). A much better paint to brush paint with than Tamiya.

You are right about the Tamiya sizes being the same colors. That's what I get for starting a thread at 3 in the morning. I do, actually, have the Model Color basic set. As far as the 122 colors, I should have been more specific. I am not counting the washes. Thank you for your input.

First I'd ask what you will be painting most often?
Then I would say go acrylic
Do you airbrush as much as possible or are you someone who prefers the brush?

dkev said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

You are right about the Tamiya sizes being the same colors. That's what I get for starting a thread at 3 in the morning. I do, actually, have the Model Color basic set. As far as the 122 colors, I should have been more specific. I am not counting the washes. Thank you for your input.

Not counting the washes either, as they aren't part of the Model Air line up. There are 122 different colors currently in the Vallejo Model Air lineup. Another 48 in the Panzer Aces, and another 193 colors in the Model Color line, not including any washes, varnishes, and effects.

I actually might just get the remaining line of Model Color. I don't have much of an issue thinning for air brushing and the colors are a little less genre specific. I do a lot of sci fi as well as aircraft and the Model Air is a little too military specific.

Aircraft? There are a ton of colors in Model Air that are aircraft specific. I would almost say that 1/3-1/2 are aircraft colors. WWII Brit and German, as well as modern US colors from Vietnam up.

Unless of course you are talking airliners.

Just in your opening post, you mentioned buying the Model Air line, which is why I was leaning that way.

Latest posts

Back