P40 Warhawk

Moon Puppy

I hope I haven't started this thread here yet, if I have just merge please.

This is that cheap Academy kit that's been hanging out at Hobby Lobby everytime I visit. $8.00 I figure what the hey..

Doing it for Face It at Modelers Alliance.
Warhawk01.jpg

Warhawk03.jpg
Warhawk04.jpg
Warhawk05.jpg

Reading around the web there does not seem to be any agreement on what colors the Flying Tigers AVG aircraft sported. From what I have read in the past and today, the P40s Chennault purchased were intended for the RAF. Stands to reason for me that they were in RAF camo already when they were shipped out to Burma. hence the RAF colors. Going to paint the spinner and get decals on.

working in 1:72 again makes me have a greater appreciation for all you folks who work in the small scale!

Hope you like it.

Nice progress, MP! And I'm with you, building in 1/72 recently has given me new respect for those who do on a regular basis ;)

I like your colors, nicely done!

I have the Academy P-40B, you're making me think I should break it out and build it.

1:72 is a great scale. Fun and does not take up much shelf space. ;D

Looks great M.P.

Jason (JMac)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Did I say something about this thing being small?
Compare to the Mustang I haven't finished yet
Warhawk06.jpg

Got the gear on, gear doors and some detail painting. Nothing major. After the decals settle down I'll clear coat and weather it up a bit.
Warhawk07.jpg

Warhawk08.jpg

Warhawk09.jpg

Warhawk10.jpg
And let me throw this out there. I know this is not intended to be an accurate representation of a specific Flying Tiger aircraft. I'm just having fun.

Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think.

DONE!
Played with some Migs washes, realize I really don't know what the hell I'm doing in this scale. Tried to muddy up the tires a little only to fall victim to what has been called weathering out of scale. Never heard the term before but I sure exemplified it here.

Warhawk11.jpg

Warhawk12.jpg
Yes, there were some decal mishaps on the insignia...don't worry about it. It's not like I'm hiding it or anything

Warhawk13.jpg

Warhawk14.jpg
But anyway..I'm calling it done, I know I'll do another 1:72 bird but one that a little larger than this one next time. 8)

Somehow I totally missed this one. ::)

Not bad at all MP. ;D Sucks about the decal though. :(

Years ago I was exclusively a 1/72 builder mainly because my goal was to build one of anything that flew in WWII and I like to have my stuff all in one scale. My second incarnation as a modeller has me firmly entrenched in 1/48 at the moment. I have always thought of 1/72 as being ideal for showing off paint schemes and markings with the other larger scales being centered around details. This may not be too true anymore with the current releases.

ckriskross09c said:
What paints do you use for weathering.

Migs Washes mostly. Also used some Migs pigments on the dust and mud on the wheels (which turned out horrid)

I tried a dry brush for chipping some but I have to say my chipping skills are about as bad as they are on the golf course.

Nice finish, MP, or should we say progress, if you're still tinkering? :D

Regarding the mud on the wheels, I think you could get away with adding more. I picture an aircraft that's taxied over muddy ground, and then maybe onto a hard surface. There would likely be mud all around the sidewall circumference, with lighter colors further away from the tread surface, while the closer to the tread, I see darker colors, where it's still a little wet, and the tread itself might be covered, or the surface that touched the hard surface (gravel/cement, etc), might be worn clean to the rubber. Depending on how deep the mud was, you might have some of it stuck into the relief of the wheel hubs, too, maybe even stick some pieces of fiber from a piece of twine into the mud, to look like grass.

Thanks Baron, I really haven't gotten into the multiple layers of pigments to nail that effect yet. But you're right, I think it would have been everywhere! There's a video out there of a P51 going through a mud hole and the stuff just spraying all over the place, even outer surfaces of the wings. Haven't seen anyone attempt that one yet ! ;D

I think that finished turned out pretty good man! Nice work!!
I applaud anyone that can work in 1/72 scale AND work in a golf/model comparison joke. (smh, been trying to do that for ages)

Latest posts

Back