Airfix 1/72 P40B - COMPLETE

Bear43

This is my first kit build in over 25 years, so be gentle! :D

I am liking the Airfix kit, it is going together rather well. A couple spots that need some filler but nothing too major. The worst issue with the kit is that one of the tips on the prop was curled over. Not much I can do about that so I'm just rolling with it. I did some brush painting with some enamels and I didn't have the paint thin enough so I had to knock it back with some sanding. I'm just a bit rusty on this. I also have a local hobby shop that still has a bunch of Model Master acrylics and enamels. The green zinc chromate is acrylic and I've been pleased with how it is going on. Going slow but steady on this. It won't be perfect but it's a start on getting back into things.

P40_1.jpgP40_2.jpgP40_3.jpg

Between work and stuff at home time has been short lately but I am making progress. Did cuss the scale last night though. I was painting bits and went to touch up the tail wheel and it was nowhere to be found. 30 minutes later I found it on the hardwood floor. 30 minutes on my hands and knees with a flashlight. These tiny bits are something else :D

Between work and stuff at home time has been short lately but I am making progress. Did cuss the scale last night though. I was painting bits and went to touch up the tail wheel and it was nowhere to be found. 30 minutes later I found it on the hardwood floor. 30 minutes on my hands and knees with a flashlight. These tiny bits are something else :D
Been there brother . Pantherman

I finally have another update. This kit has been going slowly mainly because I have had to wait for paint orders. Being in rural South Dakota there isn't a ton of stuff available locally. I finally completed the prop, those tiny decals made my eyes hurt. I do like the Cartograph decals, they were easy to work with even though they were tiny. I also brushed on the first coat of Vallejo Olive Drab. That first coat always looks rough...lol... I did also get some panel washes and such to do a bit of darkening and weathering later on. Now that I am stocked on supplies it should advance quicker.

Attachments

• P40_7.jpg
    P40_7.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P40_6.jpg
    P40_6.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 12
Almost done. Decals, panel wash, light weathering, sealing and clear bits and pitot tube is what is left. For my first attempt in over 2 decades I am pretty dang pleased with it.

Attachments

• P40_8.jpg
    P40_8.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P40_9.jpg
    P40_9.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P40_10.jpg
    P40_10.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 10
Got a question for you all. As I prep to do decals should I bother with some of the tiny stencil data? The 1/72 scale means those decals are so incredibly tiny that I'm not even sure they would be noticeable. Just curious what you all think.

Got a question for you all. As I prep to do decals should I bother with some of the tiny stencil data? The 1/72 scale means those decals are so incredibly tiny that I'm not even sure they would be noticeable. Just curious what you all think.
It's your build so do what you want with it. It's supposed to be fun so if you're stressing over it then leave them off.
Keep the decals so if you decide to add them later on, you won't have to get some new ones. Pantherman

I am probably going to try putting a few of the tiny ones on and if it gives me fits I'll stop. If it was 1/48 scale I wouldn't be as hesitant.

Had a couple hiccups over the weekend. For whatever reason one of the landing gear bits decided to splay out. Not sure why that happened but I had to break it loose and reglue it straight. Hopefully it stays put now. Then there was the pitot tube. I saved that for last because I knew if I put it on earlier I would break it off. Well, cut it off the sprue and that little bit was spring loaded and only God knows where it went as it disappeared into the great unknown. Made one with stretched sprue. Not quite right but it is better than having nothing on there. All that is left is decals and a bit of weathering.

Decals are done on the belly and I have only a few more to do topside tonight. Another step closer. I am placing the stencil data as well. Tiny and tedious but they are going on fairly well.

Attachments

• P40_11.jpg
    P40_11.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
Decals are done on the belly and I have only a few more to do topside tonight. Another step closer. I am placing the stencil data as well. Tiny and tedious but they are going on fairly well.
Looking good. Pantherman

No need to be "gentle" looking good Bear43.

Plus I hope you are enjoying the experience which is the most important.

Laurie

Latest posts

Back