Zero and Warhawk

ohbejuan

I am building a lot of kits at once. These two are an experiment. I am building the old Tamiya Zero mold, and the new Airfix P-40. Both are 1:48 scale. With the Zero I am trying black basing, and with the Warhawk I am trying pre-shading. So far, I am liking black-basing a lot. I think the zero looks good. I like the underside of the Warhawk, but not the top as much. I think I over sprayed the dark green on top, and will probably try it again on a different kit some time.

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3518.jpeg

IMG_3520.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

I put decals on the Zero and I hate them. I love these Tamiya kits, but the decals are thick. I am going to strip them and use paint for the insignia at least, and probably the band. I got paint stencils for the Warhawk, and I am happy with them so far. I need to finish the insignia. Ask me how I like them after that :)

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3549.jpeg

IMG_3553.jpeg

IMG_3551.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg
My only complaint is that the insignia on the wings are too small. But I am going with it.

Where did you get the stencils from? I much prefer painting to decals whenever possible.

Where did you get the stencils from? I much prefer painting to decals whenever possible.
I find these surprisingly hard to find. I have purchased three sets recently. Here is where I got them:

for the P-40B I got them from eBay. they were made by this company Montex. It is one of their maxi mask sets - Since it is a Polish company, you can't buy direct. what I do is check Sprue Brother, of Scalemates . I search for the item on there, and they have a list of places to buy them.

For a F4F-3 early - from kitmasx. they are Canadian and you can buy direct.

I also am trying some from from Kitlinx. This is a new vendor for me. I just found them from scalemates.com

What I honestly do is google around until I find an appropriate product and then try to find a place to buy it, usually through scalemates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back