Airfix 1/72 P40B - COMPLETE

I am very much enjoying it. It helps me relax and unwind in the evenings. I have mistakes on it but overall I am happy with how it is going.

Got a question for you all. As I prep to do decals should I bother with some of the tiny stencil data? The 1/72 scale means those decals are so incredibly tiny that I'm not even sure they would be noticeable. Just curious what you all think.
A very interesting question. One that I grapple with especially with small bits of PE

Partly it is your own character. I have a part of me that says you have to do it to prove you can.

Then on a bad day hell no thank you.

Then you build to satisfy yourself no point otherwise. Plus a lot you do in the internal work is
not seen. So what it is the fun of doing it. Just for me looking at a finished model I know what I did.

Satisfaction. Do it if you want or chuck it. You make your own rules & decisions.

Laurie

Well, it is finished. But Bear, where is the panel liner and weathering? I'm glad you asked...... I found that AK Interactive panel liner does not play nice with Testors clear coats. When trying to rub off the excess I rubbed off the gloss too. Glad I only did one wing to test. The weathering products I have on hand are also AK Interactive products. So, rather than risk it I sprayed the dull coat on and added the clear bits. I will use up what I have for Testors products and move on to other products and hopefully I will get better as I work on the next kit. Next up is an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk Ia.

Attachments

• P40_12.jpg
    P40_12.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P40_13.jpg
    P40_13.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P40_14.jpg
    P40_14.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 14
For weathering washes, you might like to try mixing your own, from water-based acrylics and water. I use craft-store paints to make washes-brands like Americana, Folk Art, Apple Barrel. The Michael's chain of arts & crafts stores carry them, as do HobbyLobby, and I think Walmart as well. Such washes definitely will not attack clear coats like Testor's product.
I make my own weathering powder, too, with pastel chalks. I got a 12-stick set of earth tones years ago, for ten bucks. It'll last me a lifetime.

I think that is what I will do. I was very surprised when I saw that gloss come off. I never expected anything like that to happen.

Good job. I have four Academy 1:48 scale P-40Cs, done as various Flying Tigers, which I have yet to complete...

Latest posts

Back