Old male armour

Alright brothers, I need a little help.
Should I highlight the rivet heads with the light green for a little pop? Or does it look like a comic strip? I kind of think they stand out on their own.
I'm just trying different ideas with each model

20240223_201545.jpg

20240223_201603.jpg

20240223_201612.jpg

Well, brothers. I feel I have a few good years left for building our kits.
My hands are become less and less stable. Kind of hard dotting these rivet heads without making a mess and having to clean it and try again about 3 times before getting it fairly close.
There are some good days, though. :D

Alright brothers, I need a little help.
Should I highlight the rivet heads with the light green for a little pop? Or does it look like a comic strip? I kind of think they stand out on their own.
I'm just trying different ideas with each model

View attachment 114101

View attachment 114102

View attachment 114103
I think because they are quite pronounced that I would leave them. It's really your call, could do a few to see what they look like maybe. Pantherman

Well, brothers. I feel I have a few good years left for building our kits.
My hands are become less and less stable. Kind of hard dotting these rivet heads without making a mess and having to clean it and try again about 3 times before getting it fairly close.
There are some good days, though. :D

I've had shakey hands sinse I was a kid. No need to stop maybe just time to switch techniques. You can bring out panel lines and rivets with a wash or filter covering the whole thing and instead of individually painting the rivets you can get pretty much the same effect with a dry brush of titanium white somewhere along the way.

Great job on the red and white stripes on the side they look just like the top.

I didn't do any work on individual rivets on my Male this is just the brown wash and pigments.

1708798274177.png

I was poking around in mine a little early as well. Guess we'll start on the 7th:D

I bought the Aber Gun Barrel set for it from scalehobbyist.

View attachment 113359

I went ahead and worked on the guns being as that isn't part of the normal kit. The Aber PE is microscopic. Between the end of the brass gun barrel and the point of the hobby knife there is a spec that is actually the blade for the top of the gun sight. The brass piece above it is one of the four legged brass pieces bent to make a mount for the blade.

View attachment 113360

Even with all my n scale experience I don't think I could work with anything smaller. But it is actually possible to use these. Here is the finished gun. With the site on it

View attachment 113361

After Pantherman (Thanks) mentioned it, I assembled the center section over the side plate.

View attachment 113362

When I mounted the front machinegun, I decided to add reinforcement. I was concerned those two tiny pins on the sides of the gun in the kit wouldn't hold if I accidently hit the barrel. I guarantee my five fingered wrecking ball will hit the barrel on the gun and knock it back inside as soon as I seal it up if it isn't reinforced. I just cut the additional piece from the side of the sprue, and glued it under the receiver to reinforce it.

View attachment 113363

I noticed the same drive wheel issue in my kit. Mine also had some of those pins broken. After studying the kit I realized it was a Mark IV kit with some additional parts for Building a Mark 1. There appears to be quite a few extra parts in the Takom Mark 1 kit. There is a set of Mark IV drive wheels that are not used people can steal the pins off of if needed.

Here's the Mark 1 on the right and Mark IV on the left. I put the broken pin on the left on the drive wheel on the right.

BMK-006-M.jpg
Some excellent advice about the guns. I broke a peg on one without realizing it and I broke a barrel on another gun. Think the model takes three to build and there's for in the kit. If I break another barrel I'll have to get the barrel kit.

Gary, looks super to me. Going to try copying you track weathering in the next couple days.

Okay so from what I read these tanks only had camo on the front, cab and sides. That is whay I did it in pieces.

I used the masking putty from Andy's HHQ. First time I tried it and I love it. I primed last night then, this morning at about 7am I put the base coat of brown on everything. I did some Saturday chores. An hour and a half later I put the first putty on for the light brown, then sprayed the pink and dark brown. Half hour later more putty over the Pink and Brown, sprayed green etc. I can put the putty on 30 minutes after the last coat and it sticks to the model but doesn't take the paint off. I went back and forth between the model and other things and here is what I have at 4 in the afternoon. The paint was all Vallejo or Tamiya acrylic. It is a bit bright but the wethering always tones it down a bunch.

I intentionally did more pink than the example from Takom just to emphasize that they actually used pink. This still needs some brush work on separating some of the color sections to better match the picture.

I'm really happy with it, you could say I'm tickled pink! Sorry; I just had to say it. :D

Camo%20Crazy%20S-L.jpg

Gary, looks super to me. Going to try copying you track weathering in the next couple days.

Okay so from what I read these tanks only had camo on the front, cab and sides. That is whay I did it in pieces.

I used the masking putty from Andy's HHQ. First time I tried it and I love it. I primed last night then, this morning at about 7am I put the base coat of brown on everything. I did some Saturday chores. An hour and a half later I put the first putty on for the light brown, then sprayed the pink and dark brown. Half hour later more putty over the Pink and Brown, sprayed green etc. I can put the putty on 30 minutes after the last coat and it sticks to the model but doesn't take the paint off. I went back and forth between the model and other things and here is what I have at 4 in the afternoon. The paint was all Vallejo or Tamiya acrylic. It is a bit bright but the wethering always tones it down a bunch.

I intentionally did more pink than the example from Takom just to emphasize that they actually used pink. This still needs some brush work on separating some of the color sections to better match the picture.

I'm really happy with it, you could say I'm tickled pink! Sorry; I just had to say it. :D

View attachment 114166
Tickled pink. :p Pantherman will love it! I think your camo is awesome, I love it!
I was not aware that pink was used.

Tickled pink. :p Pantherman will love it! I think your camo is awesome, I love it!
I was not aware that pink was used.
“Pinky, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
“I think so Brain, but how are we going to get the elephant to wear a pink thong?”

Sorry. Pinky and the Brain flashback

“Pinky, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
“I think so Brain, but how are we going to get the elephant to wear a pink thong?”

Sorry. Pinky and the Brain flashback

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but me Pippi Longstocking? I mean really, Brain, what would the children look like?

MV5BNGZkNzFjZjItM2ZiNS00Njk3LWE2ZDctNmUxM2MwN2Y2M2U2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUyNjc3NDQ4._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Great job on this one. Over your last few builds I have noticed your painting and weathering skills have improved significantly. Keep up the great work.

Latest posts

Back