Not exactly a “What If” but a “Maybe”: 1944 finnish uparmored SU-122.

Hi Jelly,
I’m rather skeptic about the all “what if” projects. But I must say I really like the color and setting on the camo you chose.
Cheers
Lukasz

Biskup said:
Hi Jelly,
I’m rather skeptic about the all “what if” projects. But I must say I really like the color and setting on the camo you chose.
Cheers
Lukasz

Hey, Biskup, how are you, mate ? ? ? :)

Well, this (together with the Ford GPA), has been really first AFV built since 1.993, and maybe even before, I don´t remember well….

I bought this cheap model SU-122 knowing its handicaps (a very old Tamiya mould, really old).

It has been really a “test model”, and this hasn´t been a “heavy what if”, but a light one. Initially I was attracted to paint her with the winter white camo with a big red circle in the upper hull plus some branches painted also in the sides… but I decided to go on bold and “make a charge” with an unseen camo scheme, at least over a SU-122 . I say it has been a “test model” because:

• First use of AB (for the base color & some dusting, plus applying satin barnish)
• First use of PE
• First use of Evergreen
• First use of liquid mask
• First use of filters, mapping, washes…
• First use of pigments
• First following of MIG Jiménez “FAQs” weathering steps…
• First use / test of Modelkasten tracks…

As you can see… a full list of “first time”. Now I´m not a “wealthy modeller”, but I have much more access to materials, tools and most notably INFO than 25 years ago. Wow, things have changed quite a lot !!!

I knew that this model was a handicapped one since the beginning, full of design limitations, so I tried to make this SU “happier”, giving her that camo scheme (that painting by hand that camo scheme was some kind of self – exam I´ve made to myself, to know of what I am able to do and what not), and adding the extra armour “finnish style”, plus the supply / spares side boxes.

This SU has been a very good “sparring” for me. Sincerely, I think I´ve learnt a lot. I know I´m lightyears from cracks like (now coming to my mind) Tony Lee, Frank Blanton, etc, etc and MANY OTHERS here @ SMA, but that´s no drama for me. :)

As I´m a very slow modeller, she has been a kind of “pain” in many ways, but I don´t like to give up things, and by my word, that I was decided to finish this model. I just need the crew and add some dusting in very specific areas.

Thanks a lot for watching, Lukasz, mate, :)
RG

HI Jelly,

my hats goes off to you for such a nice build ;D

it really painted up very well, cant wait to see what you do with the crew figures

shane

Well if this is a experimental kit to try new techniques then congratulations as I think it looks really good and I’m sure you learned a lot.
Regards
Lukasz

Biskup said:
Well if this is a experimental kit to try new techniques then congratulations as I think it looks really good and I’m sure you learned a lot.
Regards
Lukasz

;) Hola, Biskup

yes... I think I´ve learnt some techniques... but ONLY with a previous reading (a lot) of wheatering articles. I´ll say it again: I was able to put my hands over MIG Jimenez book "FAQs", and tried to follow the steps described there. I strongly recommend that book for any reborn-novice like me… it is very didactic…

Biskup, the most advanced technikes I can remember from back the 80´s where the "Drybrushing" and the "oil Washes". And that was all, my friend ;) !

Thank you very much for your words, LongLance , I´m glad you´ve liked it, mate… ;)
See you guys,
RG

I Gould love to get my hands on that book unfortunately can’t find it. So I’m now waiting for the 2nd Vol. which should be out in near future.
Cheers
Lukasz

Latest posts

Back