MATILDA ON A VIGNETTE BASE

Phil57

Here is the Matilda I posted a week or so ago now sitting on a base. It is supposed to represent some rocky terrain in Libya 1942. I did study a few colour images of landscape around Libya and whilst the colours vary from dark grey to almost bluff colour, I am still not sure I got the colours of the landscape in my vignette correct, but it will do.
I prefer to do my vignette's in an irregular shape to suit what I want to put into the display rather than the standard square shape. I got this idea from this forum actually when I happened by chance onto a guys vignette from a few years back of an AFV on a simple irregular shaped base that had no dead ground in it whatsoever. I really liked it and decided that was for me. That said however, this is my first go using styrene foam as my starting point. I wanted to create some sloping ground and that is impossible with just a bit of clay on a flat wooden base. I also wanted to add a structure with height in the base as I have read this adds to the overall theme hence the rock face beside the tank.
I did encounter a major issue and one that I have yet to solve. I could not obtain a smooth edge on the styrene foam block. I tried plastering over it and that seemed to work but when I tried sanding it to smooth out the lumps and bumps, a lot of it chipped off as you can see by the images. I am thinking next time I might purchase some very thin and thus flexible, plastic card for my next project as the plaster chipping is to me unsightly and spoils what I think is a reasonable job. Any ideas or thoughts most welcome.

Attachments

• _DSC3371-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3371-Edit.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC3370-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3370-Edit.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC3369-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3369-Edit.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 15
  • _DSC3368-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3368-Edit.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 16
I think that came out beautiful. My $0.02; the "rough" around the sides adds to the ruggedness of the "terrain" and "circumstances".

I think that came out beautiful. My $0.02; the "rough" around the sides adds to the ruggedness of the "terrain" and "circumstances".
Thank you for your kind words and you know, I haven't looked at it that way. Certainly food for thought.

Here is the Matilda I posted a week or so ago now sitting on a base. It is supposed to represent some rocky terrain in Libya 1942. I did study a few colour images of landscape around Libya and whilst the colours vary from dark grey to almost bluff colour, I am still not sure I got the colours of the landscape in my vignette correct, but it will do.
I prefer to do my vignette's in an irregular shape to suit what I want to put into the display rather than the standard square shape. I got this idea from this forum actually when I happened by chance onto a guys vignette from a few years back of an AFV on a simple irregular shaped base that had no dead ground in it whatsoever. I really liked it and decided that was for me. That said however, this is my first go using styrene foam as my starting point. I wanted to create some sloping ground and that is impossible with just a bit of clay on a flat wooden base. I also wanted to add a structure with height in the base as I have read this adds to the overall theme hence the rock face beside the tank.
I did encounter a major issue and one that I have yet to solve. I could not obtain a smooth edge on the styrene foam block. I tried plastering over it and that seemed to work but when I tried sanding it to smooth out the lumps and bumps, a lot of it chipped off as you can see by the images. I am thinking next time I might purchase some very thin and thus flexible, plastic card for my next project as the plaster chipping is to me unsightly and spoils what I think is a reasonable job. Any ideas or thoughts most welcome.
I like it alot, she blends in well with the terrain. The base looks OK to me, sort of shows off the strata a bit. If you really want a smooth finish I would mix surface filler powder with water and your base colour to make a slurry, paint it on and just before it sets paint over it with water to smooth any lumps or ridges. Repeat if required and when you're happy with the finish give it a final coat of your base colour.
But as I said, I'm really liking it as it is. Nice one.
Pantherman

I like it alot, she blends in well with the terrain. The base looks OK to me, sort of shows off the strata a bit. If you really want a smooth finish I would mix surface filler powder with water and your base colour to make a slurry, paint it on and just before it sets paint over it with water to smooth any lumps or ridges. Repeat if required and when you're happy with the finish give it a final coat of your base colour.
But as I said, I'm really liking it as it is. Nice one.
Pantherman
That is a good idea. Next time I am at my local hardware store I will have a look at what they have. For this I used good old plaster of paris mixed with water and tried to smooth it on with a flat blade. It went on ok but was far from smooth and of course when I tried to sand some of the lumps and bumps, a lot of chipping occurred. Never thought of putting it on with a brush. Thanks mate.

Phil

That is a good idea. Next time I am at my local hardware store I will have a look at what they have. For this I used good old plaster of paris mixed with water and tried to smooth it on with a flat blade. It went on ok but was far from smooth and of course when I tried to sand some of the lumps and bumps, a lot of chipping occurred. Never thought of putting it on with a brush. Thanks mate.

Phil
You would probably be better using white tile grout mixed with your base coat paint and water as it has better adhesion than filler, but both are pretty good. You can also adjust the viscosity, I find more thin coats are better than 1 thick coat, less or even no sanding.
Pantherman

You would probably be better using white tile grout mixed with your base coat paint and water as it has better adhesion than filler, but both are pretty good. You can also adjust the viscosity, I find more thin coats are better than 1 thick coat, less or even no sanding.
Pantherman
Good work. I will give that a go on my next one. Cheers mate.

Phil

Latest posts

Back