new to ak interactive world

04svt

thank god for thinner
hey there model community, been doing this for years and i just came across these new ak interactive products i have never used them just oils and mig pigments my question is to any one who has used them is this: dose any body spray future polish before the akinteractive products? i have always sprayed the future between oil washes and the weathring then i would lay a coat of matte clear to finish it up! im scared to use these just yet and i really like my mig pig!! and these seem like great products, so far i have got a couple of different washes, the streaking effects, and the chipping the heavy and lite chipping dont know when to apply these either, really could use the advice thought about buying the F.A.Q 2 too learn more but wanted to find out from yall. Thanks a million!!!!!

David P. :p

[attachment deleted by admin]

i hate Future and dont use it at all, i mat coat between layers using Tamiya XF-86.

Im Sure Ken will jump in here and help you out, He would prob be teh best person to explain them to ya.

and dont be afraid of them there real easy to use

hey thanks alot well im scared to use them on my new panda model M-ATV MRAP and my buffalo is on its way!!! they look like alot of fun just ready to learn the model way of these new products

I would recommend the DVD by AK washes, fading and oils, you see them in use and tbh that's the best way to learn seeing is half the learning process :D

Well I have to agree with Spud on the DVD he mentioned, it shows not only AK Interactive stuff, but using oil paints as well and also it showcases many techniques and how to go about getting the most out of them. It is so easy to learn by watching and you can pause and rewind as many times as you want to be able to understand and mimic the techniques.

As far as using future, I wouldn't recommend it before using the enamels. I used to use it before oils but now I only use future for cockpits and headlights and the occasional decal placement. AK enamels products have a better 'tooth' on a less glossy finish. I personally prefer either a light satin coat, or even a straight matte coat. Using them over future they tend to just simply wash away much too easily.

I also will recommend grabbing an old kit, or making something with random raised details form some styrene stock and experimenting on that before just applying them to your MRAP. Start light and don't apply them too heavily, slowly building up in layers is much better than one heavy application. For more help, try searching their blog page for older posts and past walk through posts of the products by Miguel Jimenez.

While experimentation is the best way to learn, you might not want to learn on your latest kit, especially that Panda Models kit which from what I heard, was not the easiest build. ;)

Hope that helps.

hey ken thanks alot for the info i prob pick up that dvd!! i have a old tamiya marder i was going to practice on before i even attempted the mrap or my buffalo!!!! i have really good experince building so hopefully that mrap wont be to hard!So do you use the ak interactive washes or the 502 oils for washes and what do u apply before the wash to make it glide easier? and again thanks alot guys for the info!!!!

A Satin coat is recommended by AK i believe. the washes by AK are made so you don't have to mix them and they are the right colors :)

Yeah, it's Satin they recommend. A bit of tooth but not like a matte, or as slippery as gloss.

what brand should i use? I usually use model master satin or matte or flat for the finish!!

i don't think it will matter once its an acrylic based one i use the Vallejo one

Latest posts

Back