JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
FINE MOLDS 1/72 NABOO STARFIGHTER

Brought To You From Hobby Link Japan

Review by John Simmons (merseajohn)

Hobby Link Japan Build Series - FineMolds Naboo Starfighter

IMG_3012.jpg

THE NABOO STARFIGHTER

The Naboo Starfighter is the signature vessel that would come to represent the stylistic departure the prequel trilogy took with its streamlined polished starships. Meant to portray a more classical era, when spacefaring vessels were handcrafted by artisans rather than machine-stamped off an assembly line, the Naboo fighters ironically depended on more advanced methods for their creation and looked sleek and clean compared to the 'bashed up' and 'worn' look of the models of the original trilogy.

WHATS IN THE BOX

Five sprues including the base, clear cockpit canopy, two characters/pilots and an R2 Droid to make a total of 39 parts.
Six sided instruction sheet.
One decal sheet.
Star Wars The Phantom Menace 3d Movie flyer
Fine Molds Catalogue

IMG_2996.jpg
IMG_2997.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg
IMG_3002.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3008.jpg

Initial thoughts:

This appears to be a great little kit, and the quality is typical of Fine Molds excellent products. With only a small number of parts this should be a quick hassle free build, with only minor filling and sanding (seems around the engines for example). The inclusion of a Naboo pilot is welcomed which means that we can almost forget about Anakin taking down a mini death star. The Kit also provides a nice large base in which you can display your Starfighter in a 'parked' position. This base opens up many oppitunities for mini dio's which could include lighting etc. The instructions are very clear and provide a handy paint chart on the back.
This is a lovely little kit and would look great in anyones collection espically Star wars fans.

The kit can be purchased from:

http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-15

MANY THANKS TO HLJ FOR SUPPLYING THE KIT AND TO SCALEMODELADDICT.COM FOR THE REVIEW

Hey John!! Looks like a nice little kit you got there!!! Great review BTW the way! I have been thinking of breaking into something Sci-FI at some point...these reviews are perfect view inside to show me what I would be in for when getting one! Thanks!! ;)

Great review John ,and a great vid too :) Look forward to the build ;)

Chris.

Well I don't like those things from the new Star Wars. But knowing you and your skills this will be something so I will be here for the ride :)

Thanks for the interest guys, it realy is a lovely kit. Jaitea I'm going to go with alclad for the chrome ;)
Got some work done on it so here's some pics ;D
The cockpit parts are tiny but full of detail. Base coat of xf-66 light grey then highlited with xf-19 sky grey, Vallejo paints were used to pick out the details.
IMG_3017.jpg
Fitted snugly in the cockpit:
IMG_3020.jpg
Thanks for looking.
MJ

WOW John!! I am amazed at the size of that one but the amount of detail you pull out of it!!! Very nice!!!

Man ..That cockpit must be TINY :eek: Nice work John :)

Chris.

Great Review MJ!!! One of my faves from the prequels. Looking Good Dude!!!

Thanks CT, a little update guys.
Got the Alclad Black gloss down on the hull:
IMG_3049.jpg
These will be the products I'll use:
IMG_3048.jpg
All Chromed up ;D
IMG_3066.jpg

Cheers Nick, I think it is possible to buff although I'm leaving it as it is. It is important to get the smooooooothest finish possible on the black though because the chrome shows up every niggle.

Latest posts

Back