My first model in 10 years: Battle Star Galactica Viper

Grendels

Here are a few photos of the first model I have built is over 10 years. ;D

IMG_3618.jpg
IMG_3621.jpg
IMG_3615.jpg
IMG_3614.jpg
IMG_3608.jpg

You can't see it in the photos, but I have added lighting to the model, the engines light up as well as parts of the cockpit.

Hey that looks great! :) I think it's like riding a bicycle. You don't really forget how, you just gotta get on and ride the thing until you stop wobbling. lol

Thanks guys ;D

I am now working on a Polar Lights, 1/350 Enterprise NX. As soon as I can get organized, I will post photos under the right thread. I am waiting for a bit of time to take the photos outside, the flash keeps ruining the photo on some of my paint jobs.

that looks really nice, i like how it looks like some of the paint is coming off, that is a really cool effect, and the oil paint weathering you where talking about, just perfect.... not too much, not too little.

That looks great - welcome back. The weathering on the red stripes is very well-executed; I also like the bare metal rings around the engine intakes, they give your version a unique look. Is this the old Revell 1/32 scale kit?

It is the Revel 1/32 kit, and thanks for the comments. I used oil paints for the weathering. First was a wash of burnt umber, and black, and then I took straight black oil paint for the streaking. I would put a tiny bit down where I wanted the streak, and then smeared it back with my finger. Made a great effect.

The paint chipping was an accident. The base coat was rustoleum metallic paint. The upper coats where testors acrylics. Testors acrylics don't stick well to the rustoleum paint, so when I masked for the orange stripes, it pulled up some of the grey paint. I just put a bit of tape on the orange to finish the look. I think it came out quite well.

Grendels said:
It is the Revel 1/32 kit, and thanks for the comments. I used oil paints for the weathering. First was a wash of burnt umber, and black, and then I took straight black oil paint for the streaking. I would put a tiny bit down where I wanted the streak, and then smeared it back with my finger. Made a great effect.

The paint chipping was an accident. The base coat was rustoleum metallic paint. The upper coats where testors acrylics. Testors acrylics don't stick well to the rustoleum paint, so when I masked for the orange stripes, it pulled up some of the grey paint. I just put a bit of tape on the orange to finish the look. I think it came out quite well.

You have to love happy accidents like that; I once left an open jar of laquer thinner next to a tank model I'd just finished painting - it messed up the way the paint cured and distressed the paint around the exhaust area perfectly. Too bad 99% of accidents don't turn out that way :)

Splashcoat said:
Grendels said:

You have to love happy accidents like that; I once left an open jar of laquer thinner next to a tank model I'd just finished painting - it messed up the way the paint cured and distressed the paint around the exhaust area perfectly. Too bad 99% of accidents don't turn out that way :)

i know right!?

Well, I am beginning to think that testors paint just doesn't stick to anything. With the Thunderchild, I had almost the same problem with the paint pulling off the surface. I do have quite a bit of Tamiya paints, but I have never used them in an air brush. The testors are easy, just dump them in and go. I am going to experiment with the Tamiya paints real soon. I have a major paint job coming up and I don't want it messed up in any way.

And yes, you just got to love happy accidents like this. Because of it, I have been experimenting with different types of paint to get different effects. For instance on the Thunderchild, I used a base of acrylic, but used a white enamel based paint for the panel lines. Mainly because the enamel paint thinner would not soften the acrylic paint. So mistakes were very easy to fix.

Sweet looking viper Grendels,liking the damage/chipping on the front. 8)

Latest posts

Back