Monogram F-16XL--Finished

Quaralane

After finishing with the Eagle, I decided to go do something other than SF for a minute.
So, I'm going to do up an old kit that I used to have when I was in high school.
Monogram's 1/72 scale F-16XL

Monogram F-16XL-Part 1

Re: Monogram F-16XL--WIP

I remember building this kit when I was a kid....loved it...and probably still have it here in a box somewhere.

From what I remember, it went together pretty well, nothing really negative about the build that I can remember fit wise at least.

T-Bird colors and markings would look very cool on it however....a nice "What If" aircraft!

Great idea with the paint scheme. ;D I too am not a fan of grey aircraft, but that color does serve a purpose or they wouldn't paint so many of them that way.

Hmmm I guess all 1/72 scale model planes aren't the size of a quarter. ;D Guess I was jaded by my Sopwith Camel. Maybe I will try another 1/72 again. Someday :p Cool bird. Looking forward to see what you do with the paint scheme.

Thanks guys.
I'm hoping to get some actual construction done on her tonight.
Still thinking on the paint scheme

ScarredKustoms said:
Hmmm I guess all 1/72 scale model planes aren't the size of a quarter. ;D Guess I was jaded by my Sopwith Camel. Maybe I will try another 1/72 again. Someday :p Cool bird. Looking forward to see what you do with the paint scheme.

You should look up the B-36 or any other large bomber. You would not want that in a larger scale. The B-36 model has a wingspan of about 39 inches at 1/72 scale, at 1/48 that comes out to 5 ft.

Grendels said:
ScarredKustoms said:

You should look up the B-36 or any other large bomber. You would not want that in a larger scale. The B-36 model has a wingspan of about 39 inches at 1/72 scale, at 1/48 that comes out to 5 ft.

Whoa!!! That is huge ... Some reason I am liking the larger scale more and more, the older I get the worse my eyes and the more shaky the hands are

Actually got a little, (And I do mean little) done on this today.
Cockpit's painted up. As is the pilot.
I'll likely post the next video and pics once I have the fuselage buttoned up.

Thats going to look sweet when its all done especially with a show bird paint scheme.

Okay, progress update on the XL. This time, with pics.
Box Art:
mono-f16xl-01.jpg

Parts:
mono-f16xl-02.jpg

Cockpit was done in light grey, with metallic black rails and an olive drab seat.
Whole thing was then black-washed to bring out detail in the consoles.
mono-f16xl-03.jpg

Pilot figure was given a red flight suit. The helmet was left in grey.
The other details were picked out with a fine brush and a dark metallic.
(Sorry for the fuzzy pic)
mono-f16xl-04.jpg

Main body has been assembled, and the landing gear doors have been glued into their closed positions.
Sadly, the main gear doors don't fit their openings all that well.
Did some minor work on the seams, so this bird is about ready for primer, unless I opt to tear out the main gear doors and redo them.
mono-f16xl-05.jpg
mono-f16xl-06.jpg

YouTube link:
Monogram F 16XL Part 2

Cool subject Q. You see lots of F-16, but an XL not very often...

Agreed, I didn't even know that this existed. I had the same problem with the corsair that I am working on. The landing bay doors were not designed for the up position.

@JMac,
This is actually the second one of these I've done. But the first one was over 20 years ago.

@Grendels,
The doors are bugging me, I'll admit. But I'm thinking of letting things ride for now.
I think I'll see how bad it looks once I get the primer coat on her

Okay, update time on the build.
After giving the plane a coat of grey primer, I went in and did a basecoat of Graphite Dust for the main color.
mono-f16xl-07.jpg
mono-f16xl-08.jpg

With the basecoat dry for a couple of days, I went in and masked off the areas for the stripes I'd decided on.
I also left the nose and most of the tail bare.
With the masking done, I hit the plane with another brief splash of Graphit Dust to seal the tape.
When that had dried, I went in and painted the striped in with red.
mono-f16xl-09.jpg

At this point, I need to go in and paint the engine with a darker color, and pick out the cannon.
I also still need to paint and mount the drop tanks and missile load.

Youtube link:
Monogram F-16XL-Part 3

From an earlier update, i didn't think the landing gear doors' seem were that big of a deal, and after the graphite dust primer, i think you're fine.
And graphite dust and red look really nice on this kit.

@ScarredKustoms,
It's definitely my favorite metallic shade of late.

@Exarkun77,
Looked a lot worse up close than in the pics.
And thanks for the compliment on the color scheme

This is looking good :D..The colour scheme makes a pleasant change ..very nice .

Chris

Latest posts

Back