Monogram F-16XL--Finished

Re: Monogram F-16XL--WIP

@Grendels,
Thanks.
I burnished the tape down well, then did a light coat of graphit Dust over it. I'm learning ;P

@Scot,
Thanks. I thought the red would be a nice contrast to the Graphite Dust

:D
You are a teacher, after all. Even here.
And I'm not afraid to try new techniques if I think they can help

All right, update time.
Got the missiles and drop tanks painted and into place. That went fine.

Then, disaster struck.
Today, I went out to put a coat of sealer on her, and....
The red stripes crazed on me. The sealer didn't go down evenly on the metallic sections, either.
Don't know if it was the cold, the humidity, or a reaction of the red over the Graphite Dust. I just know that the paint crazed on me.
mono-f16xl-10.jpg
mono-f16xl-11.jpg

YouTube linkage
Monogram F-16XL-Part 4

:( :eek:
ooh shoot!

try lightly sanding the troubled surfaces, LIGHTLY, so you even up some of those crazed bubbles on that sealer or clear coat, then try adding a coat of lacquer clear coat over the top, or Enamel, i dont know what you use for a sealer so this might work, if this does not work, you may have to re paint.

Based on past experience with this, Ace, I'll likely have to strip and repaint. Which I REALLY don't want to do.

I have gotten rid of bad spots by lightly sanding the surface with 600 wet dry paint. I do understand not wanting to do that. Stripping the paint might be easier, but watch how you do that. Castrol Super clean will strip putty as well as paint. But wait, don't you use aves instead of putty? I doubt it will strip that.

Didn't actually need putty on this one, Grendels.
And the sanding thing might work....except for the raised panel lines.
Definitely looking like I'll have to strip and retry.

Right now, I'm thinking it may well have been the red paint over the Graphite dust.
May have to try something different this time around.

Not sure if it would work 100%, but after stripping the model and re-painting the graphite dust, I would give it a good clear coat. Let the clear coat fully cure. Then mask off and proceed with painting the red.

I agree with stripping it vs sanding and possibly having a mediocre finish after alot of time sanding invested.

I would be tempted to strip and start anew. much quicker and easier in the long run.

I feel some of your pain ,,it's not pretty now, and was going so well ...!

@Jmac,
That may be a good idea.

That, or I go with Future instead of Krylon.

With the help of a paint removal product called "Krud Kutter," I am working to strip off the ruined paint so that I can try and start fresh

mono-f16xl-12.jpg
mono-f16xl-13.jpg
mono-f16xl-14.jpg

Youtube link:
Monogram F-16XL-Part 5

I didn't catch the raised panel lines or I would not have suggested sanding. Looks like you have been doing fine stripping her down.

I have been painting coats of future between each different color coat on the 747. So far no problems. I just painted the last color yesterday and tonight I gave her a coat of future before I pull the tape. I will let you know how tape removal goes tomorrow with all of the future coats on her. But from inspection. I don't think it will go bad. If anything the future sealed down the different colors before the next color was applied.

--nods--
Which may be where some of my problem came from. Have to be more careful in the future, I think

Grendels said:
I didn't catch the raised panel lines or I would not have suggested sanding. Looks like you have been doing fine stripping her down.

I have been painting coats of future between each different color coat on the 747. So far no problems. I just painted the last color yesterday and tonight I gave her a coat of future before I pull the tape. I will let you know how tape removal goes tomorrow with all of the future coats on her. But from inspection. I don't think it will go bad. If anything the future sealed down the different colors before the next color was applied.

Tape removal went very well. So what is the update on this?

when i do a futuristic or modern jet, im doing that graphite dust, that looks just wicked!

you are doing well, clean her up and you got yourself a good looking plane!

i myself want to enter the SMA Spring Contest! sounds fun, but i don't know if i can do it, dont have time or money, maybe i can get my mom to get me a 1/48th Scale Tamiya P-51 for my birthday, and do a quick project over spring break.

if i where to enter anything, if it where a successful build, it would be my dream build!

Latest posts

Back