Moebius Space Pod from Lost in Space

thank you so much. sculpting is alot of fun and very relaxing and not as hard as you might think ;)

so close yet so far away...

so here is where im at...i got most of the pod assembled i realized pretty early on in this build when i was dry fitting these parts that i was gonna have some pretty gnarly gaps and seams this is definatley the hardest part of this build so far. the interior, and some of the other little sub assemblies went together fairly easily, but the exterior walls proved quite a challenge take a look :)

001-6.jpg
003-5.jpg
002-7.jpg
004-5.jpg

Attack of the putty!!! lots of sanding heading my way...
007-3.jpg
006-2.jpg

You're almost there, and there's plenty of time.
Get that sanded down, and then paint. You're good to go.

Just been gradually knockin that putty down. i've been using squadron white because that is all my hobby shop sells :mad: some of that aves apoxie sculpt stuff probably would have been perfect for this job im going to have to get some of that...anyway i have found that with squadron, the only way to get decent results is to putty, sand, and then re putty and sand and so on because with squadron, for me at least, it always seems like no matter how well you think you get it into those crevaces, there are always little holes left after sanding it down so it usually take 2 or 3 applications untill its perfect. check it out

003-6.jpg

002-8.jpg
001-7.jpg

I found a trick to working with squadron white. Finger nail polish remover is a solvent for it. (acetone kind) So after I apply it, I wipe it down with a soft rag dipped in the remover. It smooths it down really well and quickly. This is what I use to fill in panel lines that I screw up. ;)

I would play with a scrap piece first to get the technique down.

I absolutely hate anything made by Squad ron, I stupidly used some of their white putty to fill some gapes early in my modeling foray.
That stuff melts plastics if it's too thick! Bondo won't even do that!

1. AVES or Magic sculpt for general build up.
2. Pro Create or Green stuff for detail sculpting.
3. Bondo car putty for filling up parts(large)
4. Wave CA black for seem lines.

Sorry for the OT rant but I killed an 80$ MG FAZZ using that crap, never again.

After having used Aves, I will not go back to Squadron's hard, brittle, shrinking putty.
Once cured, the stuff works almost exactly like styrene.
Makes scribing a LOT easier, as well as making small fixes.

I admit, I've only found it through online sources, but it's WELL worth it

Word! I am totally sold on the Aves products (did some research) sounds like its pretty fail proof, as soon as I get some extra dough im gonna stock up ;D

grendels-thank you for the tip! im definately going to give that a try. Does it only work when the putty is still wet?

I don't know, I have only done that trick when the putty is still damp. I think that the acetone in the finger nail polish remover is a solvent for it. So it might work when it is cured. Again try it on a test piece first since this is a contest entry.

I have some aves, but I have not opened it yet, from these post, I think I have been missing out a bit.

woooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!Sha-Bang!Sha-Bang!

Grendels-Your tip about using fingernail polish remover with squadron putty works wonders!

So I sanded down the first layer of putty, wich was just gobbed on with my fingers. Then i read Grendels' tip, picked up some fingernail polish remover for a buck fifty and tried it out on some scrap parts. easy as pie baby! I first thinned down the squadron and then brushed it on with a crappy brush, then took a cotton swab dipped in the fingernail polish remover and smoothed out the putty. this made things alot easier and faster. check it..

002-9.jpg
001-8.jpg
003-7.jpg

Your welcome for the tip, now don't enter that thing in the same category as my model and we will be even. ;)

Just kidding, a little friendly competition never hurt anyone!!

That tip is probably why I haven't played with aves.

Ever try Squadron Green Putty? I use it quite often and it does not shrink like the white version. It seems to have more "grit" in it and fills in gaps better but still sands smooth. Good for a quick fit. Five mins from application to sanding.

AKE-yeah i grabbed a tube of green and white cause i had no idea what the difference was. The green does seem more gritty i used to find it harder to work with, the white just seems finer and smoother i guess but now that i know i can thin it down i will probably use it more

i masked off the front windows and the back door entry way. I just carefully crammed a bunch of tissue inside and layered down the blue masking tape to create a barrier. This will make airbrushing the rear door much easier.
001-9.jpg
002-10.jpg

Got the rest of the outer details back in place so now the pod is ready for its last shot of primer i will do one more sanding session with some super fine grit, then on to paint!
004-6.jpg
003-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back