Moebius Space Pod from Lost in Space

I love this build. Great kit and the build looks great so far,

thanks alot i appreciate the compliments keeps me motivated ;D this kit has been a blast to build, definately a challenge, the direciton sheet went out the window after the first step they could improve upon that aspect, im interested to try some of the other moebius kits out there, maybe i'll just build all the lost in space kits they have ;)

miles to go before i sleep

Worked on the robot tonight and got the pod in final primer stage i have to say im pretty stoked about how the seems came out, its nice when hard work pays off there are just a couple little spots that need some touch up work before I paint. thats whats up ;)

robot ready for primer
004-7.jpg

pre paint pod primer action
008-2.jpg
007-4.jpg
006-3.jpg
005-5.jpg

that terrain is callin my name...

airbrushing rules

i love my airbrush. im like a kid on christmas eve when I get to use my airbrush even if it doesnt come out exactly how you imagine, you learn a little bit more everytime you use it. Anyway...I base coated the robot and the pod with tamiya acrylic flat aluminum the pics of the robot are bad but im happy with how the paint job came out. The pod looks good but there are a couple splotchy sections, i think my paint was a little too thick, I also got excited and left a big fat fingerprint on it ::). So im going to sand with a super fine grit and give it another coat. yayeah thats a what ima do!

B-9
001-10.jpg

Poddy
003-9.jpg
002-11.jpg

Had to take a few days off from the work bench, starting to feel a little cooky, spending too much time looking down. Anyway, got the robot done and touched up the figure, basically just tried to smooth out the fingerprints and shape the face a little. oh, and i found me a nice base at the hobby shop for 10 bucks, its really rough needs some sanding but i think its pretty rad for the price.. check it out

B-9
001-11.jpg

drilled a hole in the figure for a stint to hold during painting and to help the figure stand on the dio
003-10.jpg
004-8.jpg

started playin around with positioning on the base
005-6.jpg

Danger! Danger! Will Robinson
:D Sorry dude couldn't help it :D
I'm a late night coffee drinking modeling freak ;)

Nice progress ;D

small update

pretty much just tieing up the loose ends at this point a little more paint to do then its diorama time :eek:
just did a little masking and started preping my base

low pod light thingy masked up
003-11.jpg

spent about an hour sanding this thing gettin it ready for some stain
001-12.jpg

after one coat of stain, i'll do one more coat tomorrow
002-12.jpg

Full Speed Ahead!

Okie dokie, so, the figure is all done and I did alot of work on the base, so, without any furhter adieu...

Figure is done painted with tamiya silver, model master skin tones, and a tamiya gloss black wash...
Photo0006.jpg

cut out some pieces of foam board to start ruffing out the lay of my terrain
Photo0003.jpg

glued em in place with some weldbond and masked off the wood
Photo0004.jpg

covered the foam with light weight spackle straight out of the can no thinner, after a few hours I could shape and smooth out the spackle with my fingers, this saved on sanding time, once it was totally dry i sanded it a little but, not too much. I went ahead and took mask off after a few hours to avoid large chunks coming off once the spackle totally dried.
Photo0005.jpg

I needed to create some rock formations and boulders for my scene and I read about a product called celluclay in Shep Paine's book How to build Dioramas so I thought I would try it out, this product was right next to the celluclay at the craft store and after close examination it seemed like they are the same thing except this product called FastMache was a few dollars cheaper and to my good fortune works great!
Photo0007.jpg

This stuff sort of looks like toilet paper after being put through a food proccessor or something. All you have to do is add water and mix untill your desired consistency you can make it really runny or nice and firm like modeling clay, I considered modeling clay at first, but this stuff seems to go alot further for the price and it dries alot faster. Its a little messy at first untill you get the hang of mixing it to right consistency, but I found it to be perfect for making rock formations and boulders.
Photo0008.jpg

started building up the rocks. I just slowly built up layers letting the mache stiffen slightly before adding more
Photo0009.jpg

after I got the rocks how I wanted them I took a mixture of water and weldbond and coated all the mache, waited a while and then coated again..
Photo0011.jpg
Photo0013.jpg

space podin'

just a quickie I airbrushed a few base coats of tamiya flat earth this morning check it..

Photo0014.jpg

off to work... :-[

terrain on the brain

just been workin on the dio painted some rocks and started fleshing out the ground have a look

I made a wash with citadel codex grey and applied several coats to the rock formations untill i have a solid color
Photo0015.jpg

I then made a few different washes with tamiya sky grey, neutral grey, and dark grey and applied them liberally and randomly. I then dry brushed tamiya german grey and sky grey untill my rocks well, looked like rocks basically.
Then I put down some grass, this is a mix of woodland scenics fine green turf and coarse yellow turf, and some found rocks. im going to add some bushes and maybe a tree or two in there somewhere eventually
Photo0017.jpg

here is a quick teaser shot of the pod on the base im going to finish up the pod tonight
teaser.jpg

Latest posts

Back