MG RGM-79(G) GM Sniper

@Grendels Thanks!!

@ModelMakerMike There is a link for my signature at the bottom of my posts.

looks great man! Just subscribed to your YT channel. Looks like you got a pretty sweet little hobby room there. Nice paint rack also.

@MrNatural Thanks for subbing.

@Ravhin Thanks, hopefully the tut is helpful.

@Grendels kk

I have a diy light box I built a couple years ago. I switched lighting a little while ago and my photos tended to have heavy shadows. I'll be taking photos of this kit this weekend and I need them to be the best they could be so I picked up new lights. Homedepot didn't have the exact ones I wanted, I'm going to check kmart tommorrow. This is what I was looking for http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-CFL-Light-Bulbs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbmatZ1z0xeuiZ1z0xeuiZ2bcp5y/R-203252142/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UHYWRBZ24s0

Here is what I went with, this monster has 4200 lumens! But it is 2700K so the light is very yellow. The bulbs I wanted are 6500K so the light will be very blue and natural looking.

SANY0008-10.jpg

And here are some test shots in the light box. They came out nice, but I had to tweak the effects to make the background look white. They started out very yellow looking. So I haven't gotten anything done on this kit, I still need to apply the decals and then weather it up.

SANY0002-17.jpg

SANY0006-14.jpg

SANY0005-14.jpg

SANY0003-19.jpg

Let me know what you guy think. Is it worth trying to find the right bulbs or just go with what I've got? The monster bulbs I got were $17 so I would save close to $30 if I went with the others.

steezy said:
They came out nice, but I had to tweak the effects to make the background look white.

Let me know what you guy think. Is it worth trying to find the right bulbs or just go with what I've got? The monster bulbs I got were $17 so I would save close to $30 if I went with the others.

There is nothing wrong with color correcting a photo, or cleaning up a background, as long as you're not Photoshopping out seams etc. what's the harm? It's pretty common to be honest and heck, I'd recommend anyone who can do it, to do it. I think it look so much better than six photos in a row of the same model with each photo exuding a different colored hue. How do I know which one is which?

If you can get good, sharp, clean photos and tweak them with editing, stick with what works. If you think the new bulbs will improve things for you greatly, look into them.

Just keep your receipt. ;)

Thanks Ken and Grendels! I couldn't find the bulbs I wanted, I'll have to order them I guess. I picked up some 1600 lumens, 5000k bulbs. Here is a test shot with the new bulbs.

SANY0002-18.jpg

It doesn't look that different from the previous ones. I still had to adjust the levels to balance the colors, but the raw photo was very close to what it looks like now. So I think the colors are truer with these bulbs.

Unfortunately I think I've hit the ceiling as far a quality goes using my simple point and shoot with my DIY light box/ lighting. The 2800 lumen bulbs will work better, but I'll have to use these bulbs for now. I did save the receipt!

Busy weekend trying to finish this kit up. Hopefully the weathering/damage adds to this kit and doesn't take away anything. I'll have finished shots in a day or two, but heres one from the bench.

SANY0010-4.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!!

steezy said:

As long as its not 2400k incandescent, getting the color temp/spectrum of the bulbs a perfect D65 inst what makes or breaks a setup. Its the quantity, placement, and diffusion. What is the configuration of your light box exactly?

IMO (just MO), your light is not diffuse enough, that's why you aren't getting good shadowdetail.

This looks incredible! :eek: Did the visor come mirrored or did you do it yourself? If you did it, then how? Again, spectacular!

Thanks Grendels!!

sunsanvil said:
steezy said:

As long as its not 2400k incandescent, getting the color temp/spectrum of the bulbs a perfect D65 inst what makes or breaks a setup. Its the quantity, placement, and diffusion. What is the configuration of your light box exactly?

IMO (just MO), your light is not diffuse enough, that's why you aren't getting good shadowdetail.

I have a box that is roughly 2'x2'x'2. The sides and top are muslin fabric. I'm lighting the sides and top currently with 1 bulb on each side. The problem seems to be that there isn't enough light. hmm you think I should try doubling up the lighting at different angles?

gregfrank said:
This looks incredible! :eek: Did the visor come mirrored or did you do it yourself? If you did it, then how? Again, spectacular!

Thanks!! The kit comes with a clear green visor. I painted the piece behind it with a metallic grey.

Just guessing here, but I would say that Mulsin might be a little much for a 1600 lumen source to punch through. You can fight it with more light, but a different diffuser might be cheaper (or even free). Parchment paper from the kitchen, or velum from the drafting table, while fragile, are good choices for doing it on the cheap.

sunsanvil said:
Just guessing here, but I would say that Mulsin might be a little much for a 1600 lumen source to punch through. You can fight it with more light, but a different diffuser might be cheaper (or even free). Parchment paper from the kitchen, or velum from the drafting table, while fragile, are good choices for doing it on the cheap.

I never thought of changing the diffuser. Parchment should work great, I'll give it a try. Thanks sunsanvil!

Grendels said:
And parchment paper from the kitchen can handle quite a bit of heat.

The bigger the bulbs the more heat they can produce. I was starting to get worried the the muslin fabric might catch. I'll give parchment a try.

Latest posts

Back