MG RGM-79 GM Sniper

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
What an awesome kit! Been eagerly awaiting starting this one. Check it out..
IMG_1234.jpg

Tons of parts. This is my first go at a master grade. A bit overwhelming at first!
IMG_1235.jpg

Starting off with some pretty basic stuff the instructions have you start with the main part of the body. Just been cleaning up parts and doing some dry fitting.
IMG_1242.jpg

Here is the inner frame structure for the torso with the cock pit
IMG_1243.jpg

Since these kits are snap together, dry fitting can be a little tough. It can be quite impossible to take the parts apart with out damaging them, so to make things easier I bore out the connection holes with my knife or a drill bit depending on the size of the hole
IMG_1244.jpg

Now I can easily pull apart this assembly for painting.
IMG_1245.jpg

Thats it for now. more to come very soon. thanks for checking it out!

Yes, very kewl!
I was always impressed with the box art on this one, but due to the cost, and me already owning way too many models, have never picked one up.
:-\ ::)

Off and running...looking good!! As for the box art...this one is just crying out to have a Russian 4BO finish to it!! (well for me anyway)!~ ;D

I did this one about a year ago. Nice kit, goes together well but getting the gun in any sort of position was a nightmare.

You planning on stock color scheme or custom?

I love this GM. Again a good example of what can be done in Mecha design, issued from the original one in 1979, but somewhat different. It was already good in 0080 War in the pocket, it's even better with this side story of the One Year War in 08th MS Team.

Don't have the MG version of the Sniper.
Can't wait to watch, and follow, what you'll do with this one :)

One question : is the kit delivered with the "diorama", the energy core that the GM snip plug his weapon ?

ModelMakerMike-thanks man. yeah these kits can be a little pricey, luckily I found mine for a decent price on ebay.

Grendels-thanks dude!

TRM-thanks. I do love the box art on this one. definitely one i'll be saving.

sunsanvil-Im still not sure about the paint scheme, I really want to do something other than a green scheme because the last three kits i've completed have been green color schemes...but I really like the look on the box art...

YOULI-The kit does come with the energy core, various weapons, power tubes, a figure, decals, but no actual base for a diorama.

Cool. so finally got a little time to make an update here. Nothing too exciting just yet as there is a lot of tedious clean up work. I've just been laboriously going through all the parts in the kit, polishing them up, and dry fitting all the sub assemblies so I can get a good look at everything before I start detailing/modifying/scribing...all that fun stuff. So here is what I got so far..

Helmet is assembled and seamed out had to do a little re-scribing
002-60.jpg

Arm units are polished up, they are very easy to take apart once assembled I did not have to modify them at all
001-58.jpg

Feet units
005-44.jpg

the shoulders need a bit of work...there is a molded on seam line that is supposed to make the part look symmetrical once assembled but it looks bad and its completely uneven so I sanded it out
003-55.jpg

After a bit of reshaping and scribing I think they look a lot better.
004-49.jpg

starting on the leg units
006-39.jpg

Thats it for now, hope yall dig it, thanks for looking.

I love the step by step photos, give me a feel for what is in that box. Looking forward to more...

Grendels-Thanks brotha! I've been sorta lazy about my picture taking with my last few builds, so im going to try and show a lot more of the process during this build.

TRM-Thanks buddy!

greyphantom1000-thanks man. yeah, I agree, a lot of nice extras in this kit, a whole bunch of options as far as displaying it.

Okie Dokie. Got another update here. Really wish I had more time to post on the forum these days but work is just taking it out of me lately...anyway, enough whining, check it out..

A general view of where im at. Still fitting everything, taking care of seams, mold lines, etc...Im just about ready to start doing a bit of customizing, I want to add some more panel detail, maybe some aftermarket stuff...
001-59.jpg

Im definitely including the long range beam rifle and the generator in my final display. Been working on seaming everything out. I've showed this a lot in my other builds, but for any newcomers, I really like to use straight up CA glue to do my seam filling sometimes it takes more than one application, I switch to putty if its an atrocious gap.
002-61.jpg
003-56.jpg
005-45.jpg

After a thorough sanding job, I always check my seam work with some Mr. Surfacer 1000, simply paint a line over the seam and once it dries you'll know if you have more filling to do :)
004-50.jpg

Started work on the back pack or ransel unit. I would like to upgrade the thrusters. I have some Wave option parts that would work perfectly.
008-35.jpg
010-19.jpg

The original kit supplied thrusters
011-13.jpg

Wave thrusters, IMHO the wave thruster have nice detail and a nice shape, especially the inner detail.
012-18.jpg

Back pack assembly with new thrusters
013-10.jpg

Thanks for checking out my build it means a lot to me.

your making some great progress. There are soo many seam lines one this kit. I like your method of adding surfacer as a quick check, I might need to adopt something similar. Nice choice on the thruster and I'l looking forward to the mods!

Looking good there!! Those thrusters are a nice improvement!!! Keep it going!!!

steezy-thanks man, checking my seems with surfacer is something I recently started doing

TRM-thanks dude!!

Alright. Just a little update here. Spent the majority of my afternoon working on the shoulder units.

Here is what I started with
001-60.jpg

I scribed in some more panel detail and added some bolts, the bolts look a little wonky still need some work, Im quite happy with the scribes, scribing is one of the areas of modeling im always trying to improve on, its so nerve racking!
002-62.jpg

Peace out!

Looks good. And thanks for taking the time on the photos. The added details will help this look great.

I wish they made Mr.Surfacer in a small bottle with a brush cap. I hate the thought of having to clean a brush with solvent EVERY time....

sunsanvil said:
I wish they made Mr.Surfacer in a small bottom with a brush cap. I hate the thought of having to clean a brush with solvent EVERY time....

no big deal for me I just keep a small jar of lacquer thinner on the bench just for cleaning my surfacer brush, a couple swooshes through, a quick wipe with a rag, and done. :)

Trying to keep the momentum going. Really having a blast with this build. Cant wait to start painting.

So anyway, im basically working my way down the kit adding detail where I see fit. Been working on the torso assembly this week. I went ahead and glued everything and took out the seam on the top near the shoulders. I figured virtually none of the inner frame is visible on this portion, plus I could not live with that seam. Added some rivets, vents, and paneling.

Here is what I started with
IMG_1269_zps64284b5e.jpg

After
IMG_1270_zpsa978a1a2.jpg
IMG_1271_zps595fee0a.jpg

catcha later!

I know what you mean about those seams on the shoulders. Drive me nuts. What I usually do is actually carve them deeper and make a panel line out of them. :)

5772128275_d539c8443c_z.jpg

sunsanvil-that is a really good idea. I might do that with my next Gundam build.

So I spent the weekend detailing up the arms. Added a lot of paneling.
009_zps26a63b91.jpg
005_zps2cf89944.jpg
006_zpseaa506b3.jpg
007_zps65ee2aa9.jpg

They're not 100% symmetrical, but im pretty happy with the scribes. not as wonky as usual ;)

Latest posts

Back